Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my guages installed and got to try out the sct from DJS. I have the street/tow/looney tunes on it. Since I have nothing to compare it too maybe someone with the looney installed can give me some insight. First of all this tune seems to make good power and smokes:hehe: but there seems to be about a 2 second delay if I hammer it from a light before it takes off. Also if Im cruising at 20 or so and hit it, it seems to take off like stock for second and then its like someone hit the nitrous switch. Is this how the looney is supposed to feel. Its not that big of a deal but im curious if this is standard for the tune or if something is wrong with it. I will admit to 3 or so mpgs better with this tune.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Yeah, that's turbo lag you are feeling. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it, short of buying an aftermarket turbo. Rwalker has described DJ's tunes as an F-16 on afterburner... I would agree!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good to know. I thought maybe something was wrong. What I love about the sct/looney is it is 100%streetable. You dont even know its there until you hammer it. I have no reason to use the street tune now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm not sure but is it possible that the street tune could be better than the looney on my truck are they all the same ? maybe you should try the street once, mine got the EGT lower and respond a bit faster . do you think i'm the only one feeling this ?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
i'm not sure but is it possible that the street tune could be better than the looney on my truck are they all the same ? maybe you should try the street once, mine got the EGT lower and respond a bit faster . do you think i'm the only one feeling this ?
That is very possible. Each truck is different and responds to tuning differently.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I noticed this too and talked to DJ and Viv about it. I told them that I wanted the power to come on quicker when I stomped on it, both off the line and during driving. They tweaked the looney and programmed it to my liking and I don't have that problem anymore. Just tell them what you want and they will make it happen, great customer service!

Sergio

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i just got my SCT this past weekend...did you guys recieve a XCAL3 or an SF3? I ordered it from DJ and i was under the impression i was getting and XCAL3. Are they the same? i saw on sct's website they list both programmers but in the description they are the same. i am stumped...

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
they are in essense the same tuner, but the one you got from DJ's has your custom files on it. the SF tuner has 3 canned ( generic ) tunes on it. Custom is way better...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i thought the xcal has 3 canned and u can add 3 custom....thats how my sf3 is. eric at dj's said they are the same thing

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The SF comes with three generics, but they unlock it to hold custom tunes. Once you unlock for custom, you can't go back to generic. The xcal3 is just a custom tuner that does not come loaded from the factory.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i got an xcal3 from djs and it cam with 3 canned tune and it holds 3 custom tunes as well

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
they are in essense the same tuner, but the one you got from DJ's has your custom files on it. the SF tuner has 3 canned ( generic ) tunes on it. Custom is way better...
Did you stud the top end before you started using the "Looney" tune?
I did not see studs in your sig, Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i got an xcal3 from djs and it cam with 3 canned tune and it holds 3 custom tunes as well
In that case it changed on the x3, and I have no business talking about it. I have an x2, and that was the case with it.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
The SF comes with three generics, but they unlock it to hold custom tunes. Once you unlock for custom, you can't go back to generic. The xcal3 is just a custom tuner that does not come loaded from the factory.
SCT has 2 tuners SF3 and X3. X3 is blank from factory ready for custom tunes (max of 3), SF3 has 3 canned and ready for 3 custom tunes. You can go back to canned, factory, or custom whichever you choose, you do not lose your canned tunes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts