Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Brand new to the forum. Have been a GM guy for a few years and currently driving a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3. Long story short I'm going to be buying a diesel HD truck soon and am currently leaning towards a 2020 SD. I thought I for sure was going to be getting a cummins but I was not at all impressed with the acceleration of the ram. I know the thing has torque that hits sooner but the thing was an absolute dog off the line and I spend 90% of my time driving empty. That said, GM really missed the boat for me on this gen. I like the exterior design of the HDs enough but the mirrors are terrible and the interior is hugely disappointing. I like the interior of the SD much better over the GM.

I've got a handful of questions I'm hoping to get answered, but since this truck is so new with the refresh I may be out of luck, we will see.
  • Love the black headliner of the platinum, and the blacked out emblems of the lariat sport package. These two packages are somehow mutually exclusive. My guess would be that its vastly easier to swap out grille, side badging and such over the headliner but curious about the blacked out lights, doesn't seem like anyone has any experience here yet?
  • I've always loved the way diesels sound, however with all this DPF stuff they sound much much quieter now. I'm guessing I'm basically SOL here unless I delete but has anyone had any luck with a larger exhaust giving it some sound?
  • I'm really wanting this to be a long term truck. I've always wanted a diesel truck (I'm a bit of a kid and I have always loved big "tonka" trucks) but I'm a little nervous that there isn't going to be much of an aftermarket for these trucks since Ford just unveiled the new F150. The current SD seems to have a ton of support for aftermarket grilles, headlights, taillights, etc. Is there any reason to expect this refresh is only going to be for 1-2 years or do we expect it to be for at least 3 years like the current version? I would hate to buy a 2020 and find out that its a single year design only. I know this is pretty minor but I'd like to blackout the tail lights and head lights and possibly an aftermarket clean grille.
Looking forward to chatting with everyone here and interested to see what the responses are.

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
1) I can't recall if the Lariat Sport lights are LED. With that said....I'd buy the package that has 90% of what you want/need. Upgrading/swapping out parts down the road are part of the fun. Do your homework.
2) The injectors are no longer mechanical that reduces sound as well. Dropping the DPF back exhaust will not achieve much sound change. Just the way it is right now.
3) I would expect this truck to stay around till 2022 or 2023. Maybe some small changes, or the interior getting refreshed. Overall do not expect a huge exterior change soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) I can't recall if the Lariat Sport lights are LED. With that said....I'd buy the package that has 90% of what you want/need. Upgrading/swapping out parts down the road are part of the fun. Do your homework.
Agreed. As it sits now I'm either spending another 4k-ish on options up front I may not want, or potentially trying to swap out the headliner later with all black (and I'm going moon roof so that is what scares me). I'm thinking as it sits that I should prob go for the platinum model and slowly blackout the accent pieces. The real expense will come with the headlights, assuming that I've got to go custom. At least it will be custom by that point though. I'm hoping for a sort of "factory enhanced" vibe.

2) The injectors are no longer mechanical that reduces sound as well. Dropping the DPF back exhaust will not achieve much sound change. Just the way it is right now.
I wasn't aware of that. Good to know about the exhaust, kind of a bummer but I'll deal.

3) I would expect this truck to stay around till 2022 or 2023. Maybe some small changes, or the interior getting refreshed. Overall do not expect a huge exterior change soon.
That's good to know. I've seen some posts saying they aren't fans of the interior but to be honest I quite like it. It's sort of an enhanced utilitarian. The materials don't feel quite as nice as Ram/GM but they feel good enough and I like the layout.

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
Yea..the 2020 minor exterior and power train upgrades are typical "mid-model" upgrades from Ford. Usually they go 3-5 between major changes interior and exterior. They are now on track to change the interior in the next 2-3 years.

With all that just stay on top of the August timeline for 2021 orders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea..the 2020 minor exterior and power train upgrades are typical "mid-model" upgrades from Ford. Usually they go 3-5 between major changes interior and exterior. They are now on track to change the interior in the next 2-3 years.

With all that just stay on top of the August timeline for 2021 orders.
What is happening with 2021 models? I don't have any strong desire for a 2021 vs a 2020 assuming they are the same. Are there new options or something? Not able to find out much info online.

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
For one there isn't any 2021 info released as of yet. Ford updates their Order Guides for each model year. When that is released there are notations as to new changes that apply to that model year. As such any change to options/option selections/packages or exterior/interior changes to the vehicle are generally indicated.

For example: If Ford changed the Snow Plow package to include a 10' plow it would be stated in the Order Guide to the effect "Snow Plow option now includes 10' plow".
If Ford added a Option Package called Vehicle Drone Surveillance Package it would list all the requirements of that package and what's included. It would specifically address "new to this model year" or something like that.

So if Ford decided to change anything for 2021 interior or exterior it's a pretty safe bet the Order Guide will give you the basic info when addressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, ok well thats good to know. I'm unsure if I'll be waiting till August for buy though. The timeframe for me is pretty solid right now and while it's unlikely to get worse later I can't imagine anything drastic. Worse thing would be that I miss out on a factory black headliner in the sport package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Lariat sport package plus the ultimate package. LED HL/TL. I have the moonroof too. Pretty much everything a platinum except for power steps. $1200 I can add later and I have ‘ok’ steps to sell when I do swap those out. Platinum I priced out was $86k my lariat sport ult was $79k. I will attach my window sticker so u can reference.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts