Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
thats a good deal, i dont have a MBRP but i have a diamondeye straight pipe and i paid about the same price, most 4 inch turbo back exhausts are gonna be about the same. just realize that since it is aluminum that it wont last as long as ss. good luck

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
MBRP is a good system if you need to replace the entire system. Otherwise just replace the factory muffler with a straight shot muffler like the Walker BTM, or straight pipe it. The restriction in the factory system is the muffler not the size of the plumbing!! But everyone thinks they need a full 4" turbo back system to run a chip!!!

NCH

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have the 5in mbrp and love it, one of my friends has the 4in and sounds just as good

·
Semper Fi
135 Posts
I love my mbrp system, I picked mine up at the same place your looking at yours. I did purchase the mbrp muffler delete with it however.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MBRP is a good system if you need to replace the entire system. Otherwise just replace the factory muffler with a straight shot muffler like the Walker BTM, or straight pipe it. The restriction in the factory system is the muffler not the size of the plumbing!! But everyone thinks they need a full 4" turbo back system to run a chip!!!

NCH

I'm doing it really for lower EGTs. I like the way the stock system sounds. I'm 35 years old.

Isn't the cat a big blockage also?

The system lets you address all three areas. The third being the downpipe.

Are you saying the only real benefit in terms of flow is in the muffler not also in the removal of the cat.

I'm not trying to insist otherwise, but when I have modified gasoline engines the cat(s) were the biggest restriction followed by the cat back next and the headers held the least to be gained by changing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ive got the mbrp 5" system and I love it, 4" is plenty I just wanted the 5"!!! Cat and muff. delete will be way better in flow too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, my colleagues and I prefer walker exhaust since it's pleasant-sounding while still giving the car good gas mileage. Although, MBRP is also a good brand for exhaust system.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I'm doing it really for lower EGTs. I like the way the stock system sounds. I'm 35 years old.

Isn't the cat a big blockage also?

The system lets you address all three areas. The third being the downpipe.

Are you saying the only real benefit in terms of flow is in the muffler not also in the removal of the cat.

I'm not trying to insist otherwise, but when I have modified gasoline engines the cat(s) were the biggest restriction followed by the cat back next and the headers held the least to be gained by changing.
I'd be willing to bet your truck doesn't even have a cat. The 73's weren't emissions motors. It's all in the muffler. Straight pipe all the way:thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love my mbrp system, I picked mine up at the same place your looking at yours. I did purchase the mbrp muffler delete with it however.
did you ever have the system on with out the muffler delete pipe? i am wonderin how much throttle response you lose straight pipe

·
Registered
162 Posts
the difference from my system with a muffler and then when i put on the delete pipe was too small to tell, i dont think i lost any bottom end at all. but it sure sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i just put my 4" mbrp on a couple weeks back,
GET THE MUFFLER DELETE TRUST ME!
it still is not loud enough for me! and i have the muffler delete pipe!
great system

·
Registered
20 Posts
the muffler delete doesnt make the exhaust louder is makes the whistle louder. the mbrp muffler is a straight through type. you actually lose exhaust not with the muffler off

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I should be getting my straight pipe on this weekend! I'm like a child anxiously waiting to open a Christmas present.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
MBRP makes some of the nicest aftermarket kits on the market. You will see an EGT drop with a full 4" system over a stock straight piped kit, not to mention much better sound. The kit you you linked to has an aluminized coating, its not made of aluminum like someone said. Let me know if I can help with anything.

·
Registered
957 Posts
MBRP makes some of the nicest aftermarket kits on the market. You will see an EGT drop with a full 4" system over a stock straight piped kit, not to mention much better sound. The kit you you linked to has an aluminized coating, its not made of aluminum like someone said. Let me know if I can help with anything.

I agree, the nicest AM exhaust system I've seen as far as fit, I'd buy one and put it on my wife's truck if she'd let me, lol

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
The EGT difference between a 4" and a 3.5" straight back exhaust is like 50-75*.. which isn't that huge.

·
Registered
404 Posts
the muffler delete doesnt make the exhaust louder is makes the whistle louder. the mbrp muffler is a straight through type. you actually lose exhaust not with the muffler off
there is more whistle but it is louder also it may not have the same sound, but it is louder

·
Registered
653 Posts
did you ever have the system on with out the muffler delete pipe? i am wonderin how much throttle response you lose straight pipe
Probably none you want less back pressure with turbo vehicles

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have that same system on my X and i love it ! not to loud not to quiet ,just right IMO! when u get down on it ,its even better ! it helped out my throttle response and just seemed to run better

1 - 20 of 21 Posts