Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm about to buy my first 6.0. and never owned a diesel. i'm not going to do much hauling mainly hunting trips and occasionally hauling a boat. is there anything i should be concerned about with the 6.0

·
Registered
233 Posts
haha yea dont buy a 6.0 buy a 7.3 itl last forever

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
To answer your question i believe head studs and a deleted egr would pretty much solve any problems you would have with the 6.0 If you don't plan on making huge horsepower numbers it I wouldn't be scared of it. Ive owned a 7.3 for about5 years and im looking at a 6.0 now. I was once told all 6.0 problems where driver inflicted. Just take care of whatever you get and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
why are you set on a 6.0?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
haha yea dont buy a 6.0 buy a 7.3 itl last forever
you are misinformed more than most people i know i used to be like that and now i have one that i have ragged the **** out of and havent had a single problem with it just because there used to be alot of problems with them doesnt mean they are all bad yes there are still bad ones out there but i know 7.3's that have been in and out of the shop since they were new

so long story short dont knock it till you try it

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
what price range you looking at??

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The early 6.0's I belive were rushed to market to meet emmissions regulations and resulting in severel problems. I would say the 05-08 are the best 6.0's out there. The 7.3 is a tank but they had to kill that engine due to the fact it would never meet the emmisions standards. Two completely different engines. My next PSD will be the one of the 6.0,s from the years mentioned and a few mods will make any smoker happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does it cost to replace the head bolts? i know they are $500 just for the bolts, what about the labor? and as far as an egr delete would an egr probe be good enough

·
Registered
62 Posts
i just had my tranny built by a cummins performance shop and the owner of the shop thinks that that 6.0 is unreal!! once you put head studs in and egr delete they will be capable to produce unreal pwer w/ a much diff delivery than the cummins , its very aggressive. I pull w/ a 550hp fummins and I have a built tranny, studs, sct tuned by eric, stock charger!!, 200 sticks and get him by 10-15 ft every time its just more money to a point for big hp out of the 6.0 but when you have it its NASTY fast , loud and smokey enjoy ur 6.0 and keep the maint. schedule on track!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
and yes its alot of labor for studs 18-20hrs -/+ you WILL need them stock or not!

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
still looking???? how much ya looking to spend?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts