Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i would like someone that has experience and knowledge of the 6.4 to give me a brief and to the point list of the most common problems and "need to fix asap" things from a stock truck. haha im just wanting to go with a Spartan 310 and a tow tune and whatever else it comes with also afe intake and dual exhaust so nothing to much.

if anyone could suggest a good 6-10 inch lift kit that rides good and does good pulling a decent load every once in a while to would be great!

any help is much appreciated and any things to look out for when buying would just be awsome!

Thanks guys! Drew :icon_ford:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you like it? Buy it! haha thanks man trust me with the money i have put in to this bad boy i could get a really nice 6.7! :( but it has been really good to me for quiet a while now. im just ready for something different. no problems just ready for my next build/toy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Drew,

Hey some of the known issues are the following:

1. Fuel system is extremely sensitive to dirt, water and loss of pressure. Water Seperator gets clogged very easily so maintence is a major factor here, but most people here would recommend a AirDog or similar product.
2. EGR can be an issue too from soot build up
3. Oil dilution is probably the LARGEST issue people have, what happens is when the truck goes into REGEN it forces extra fuel to the DPF to burn off the collected soot. Not only does this kill the MPG, but it also forces fuel into the engine oil. So make sure you Delete your truck to avoid premature failures.
4. Leaky injectors are know to plague Job 1 trucks (early production), so make sure you get a Job 2 or Job 3 model.
5. Radiator/Cooling pack has had issues, but was resolved by Ford through TSB.
6. The turbo boots are known to "pop off", especially when modded and pushing tons of boost.

I cant think of anything else right now, but as long as you delete, get a Job2 or Job3 model, and aftermarket fuel/water separator you should be great. Do a few searches on here to see if I missed anything.

Hope this helps,

Dom

·
Registered
43 Posts
If my truck was built in april of 08 what package would that be considered? Is early production considered mid-late 07. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If my truck was built in april of 08 what package would that be considered? Is early production considered mid-late 07. Thanks.
Yours is a Job 3, mine was built Jan/ 08 and it too is a Job 3. Up until the end of december 07 was Job 2 production. :thumb:

By the way, I am still on the original rad on my 08 with over 50k miles on it now. Not sure how I have been so lucky :dunno:

Been getting the P2291 code lately though :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
you like it? Buy it! haha thanks man trust me with the money i have put in to this bad boy i could get a really nice 6.7! :( but it has been really good to me for quiet a while now. im just ready for something different. no problems just ready for my next build/toy.
You have over $60k in your truck? :hehe: :hehe: Those 6.7's are pricey.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Job number doesnt matter.... That is entirely a MYTH.
HUH??? How can that be? earlier job numbers have different part numbers than say Job 2 or 3 and Job 2/Job 3 had fixes for the Job 1 issues. This is according to the Spartan guys. :confused: Can you clarify, because now I'm just confused as I'm sure others are now from that statement. :dunno:

Dom

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dom! so how do i tell if the truck is a job 1 2 or 3?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Drew,

Job 1

Build dates 01-07 thru 06-07

First builds of the 08's. Lower valence in front on front bumper much shorter than later job builds.
Radiators would leak, most should be replaced under warranty by now. Also there was a recal for a venturi T to be added to keep the radiators from splitting.
TCM, early on it was thought that the transmission control module was a hold up for transmission life, but has sense been fixed by more refined trans tuning
Transmissions,Job 1 was the only model to have an external filter as well as the internal in the pan. some hard part differences like overdrive planetarys but i dont know all the details so hopefully someone can step in a clarify the changes.

Injectors had a recall for hanging open and filling the crankcase full of fuel, VIN specific recall

Job 2

Build dates 07-07 thru 12-07

Second build batches of the 08 model year

Got a bigger valence on the front bumper, said to improve mileage by 1-2 mpg.

TCM part numbers changed. Other small changes were made hopefully more can chime in with more info

Job 3 pretty much anything built in 08 was a job 3

not familiar with all the changes

2009 Job 2 added SYNC.

Last year of 3.73 gears as an option

2010s

3.55s were the highest gear ration selection

I think this is about it, but if anyone knows something different speak up. Also Drew, I'm pretty sure this is a sticky somewhere, if not it should be...MODS!!! hint hint :)

Keep us posted bro,

Dom

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awsome! thanks Dom thats more than enough info for me :thumb: i assume i find that info on the door sticker?

Im going to look at an 08 F350 CCLB SRW loaded 4x4 with 174,xxx on it but it looks to be in PERFECT condition so that may have been eazy miles..... :dunno: i hope because its close and a good deal so ill let yall know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts