Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know to much about these trucks I've been mainly looking at F150's, F250's and Silverado's but if I got a good deal on a diesel truck should I buy it?

I will be using this to go back and forth to High School, do landscaping / Odd Jobs, tow my family's boat to a local lake.

I know I don't need all the power but I was wondering if I got a good deal on one would it be smart to buy.

I know diesels are more to maintain but could anyone give be any estimates of how much of a difference there is in the Maintenance I would only be putting on 3k-5k miles on it a year.

Thanks

What would you all say to something like this F250-350 7.3 turbo diesel
211k miles

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
For that kinda money, if the truck is everything he says it is, I'd be all over it. And if it's been well maintained, I wouldn't even worry about the miles. And a Kingpin Dana 60 is hard to find, and expensive. That guy must have at least known a good amount if he already ditched the POS twin I-beam axle that the 250's came with. I bought my truck with 193k on it bone stock, and now at 221k, I have bigger injectors, modified HPOP, custom tunes and some other junk, and it runs like a freaking animal.

And to answer your first question, yes. My 96 was my first diesel, and now I wouldn't ever go back. It has been absolutely solid and has only given me a few tiny, easily fixable problems.

If you're only driving 3-5k a year, maintaining it shouldn't be hard. I just change my fuel filter about every 10-12k and oil every 3k, and she runs like a top.

And you think you don't need the power, but the guys on here aren't kidding when they say it's an addiction. I thought I would be totally happy with just a generic Edge chip on my truck when I bought it. Well, now I have a custom-tuned chip, bigger fuel injectors, modified HPOP, full exhaust, intake, and I still have plenty I want to to.

As far as a 12-valve, they are very reliable, simple motors, and can make some pretty damn good power. But, the rest of the truck, not always the best. The 12-valves are smokey bastards too. The 7.3 can be, but only if you want it to.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't really know to much about these trucks I've been mainly looking at F150's, F250's and Silverado's but if I got a good deal on a diesel truck should I buy it?

I will be using this to go back and forth to High School, do landscaping / Odd Jobs, tow my family's boat to a local lake.

I know I don't need all the power but I was wondering if I got a good deal on one would it be smart to buy.

I know diesels are more to maintain but could anyone give be any estimates of how much of a difference there is in the Maintenance I would only be putting on 3k-5k miles on it a year.

Thanks

What would you all say to something like this F250-350 7.3 turbo diesel
211k miles
the 7.3 is one of the best diesel engines around - THAT BEING SAID - the hard reality is that you are rolling the dice on any old truck you buy. yes the diesel will run forever, but that doesnt mean people havent spend thousands to repair them along the way. likewise - there are plenty of gasonline counterparts with a 200,000 plus miles on them and still running strong.

left unmaintained - any truck will fall apart regardless of what is under the hood. 18 yr old ball joints - bushings - and transmissions dont care what engine is pushing them. the best advice ANYONE can give you - is to spend a little more upfront, and get the best truck you can find. ( with whatever you choose to buy) diesels are tricky in the fact that little symtoms can be hiding big problems. granted they can be fixed the majority of the time - but nobody wants to dump 2 grand into truck they just bought expecting no issues. if you want to go down this road - please think about bringing the truck somewhere to get checked out. $100 lost on a diagonstic fee is better than a few thousand on a truck hiding bad injectors that the previous owner hid by making sure is was warm before you came.

also - please realize eactly where you are. pride of ownership plays alot in people's opinions, and only you will know what is gonna suit you best. if you decide to go diesel - realize you will be spending alot of time online trying to re-learn everything you thought you knew about engines, and be prepard to do some things yourself. if working on cars is not your thing, then this may not be for you.

on the positive side - these are generally some of the best used trucks around, with the 7.3 being one of the best diesels. start with this -

thats the intro to a 4 part series. a very good guide if you ask me. good luck with whatever choice you make.

·
Registered
396 Posts
how heavy is the boat and how far are you towing it? If you only put 3-5 k a year on it than its a hard call. short trips kill these motors, hot and cold hot n cold start ups, plus build up of ash will shorton the life of ebps and ebpv as well as the turbo and condensation will never be trully be burned out of the motor. If your gonna run a diesel uv got to run them and truly work them to get the best bang for your buck...............

·
Registered
496 Posts
Would a diesel be to much for what i'am going to be doing?
listen - its not a matter of "if its too much". you dont "need" a diesel to tow a boat, just like you dont "need" a boat, to justify haveing a diesel. im sure its not a big boat, cause if it was it would be docked, and not being towed to begin with. as far as driving goes - i drive mine 5 miles to work, and 5 miles home. its survived the last 5 years, and im sure the guy waiting 15,000 miles to do an oil change is doing more damage then my short commute will ever do.

it really just boils down to what you want, and what you like.. go take one for a test drive , see how you like it.. a diesel truck is totally different for the driver. it has a more heavy, and less responsive feel.. its not going to be as peppy and light as its gas counter part. its like the difference between a horse and a bull.. (under normal driving conditions - it your gonna plant your foot, that may be a different story)

one thing you migth consider is how long you are planning on keeping the truck. if it'll just be a stepping stone, then it maybe it doesnt matter which way you go. if you plan on keeping it for a long time - then maybe your better off with it, especially since your already looking at trucks that arent far off from being considered a classic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah its a little 16ft fiberglass boat I know that a gas truck can pull it. I'm also planning on driving this truck into the ground keeping it until its not use able.

Would an IDI be better than a Powerstroke?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Imho there is nothing wrong with an idi if your not looking to make big power or pull heavy loads

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got a 96 f250 with 272k on it. I love it. I drive it to school every day. Haven't towed anything yet, but probably will every now and again. But mostly I just drive it.
If I where you I'd be all over that first (red) one at that price.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah its a little 16ft fiberglass boat I know that a gas truck can pull it. I'm also planning on driving this truck into the ground keeping it until its not use able.

Would an IDI be better than a Powerstroke?
just how id say you should try and buy the best truck you can find, id say the same about the motor too. personally, i dont have any experience with an idi - from my understanding the IDI is non-turbo. ( i may be mistaken ). i wouldnt suggest getting a non turbo diesel. every diesel made these days has a turbo - and with good reason. they are total dogs without i

the one major thing i can suggest too, that might help you make a decesion - is do you know a good place that works on diesels. by me- its been really hard to find someone that knows what they are doing, and EVERY TIME i had to rely on a mechainc i got screwed. the majority of money i dumped into my truck has been with mechanics either trying to screw me over, or fixing something that didnt need fixing cause they didnt know what to check. i got charged $500 to have my glow plugs replaced when the only thing that was wrong with them was the $35 relay that turned them on. i just had another shop try to charge my almost $5,000 to replace stuff that there was nothing even wrong with. ( very dishonest place) , the last shop that had it tried to bill me $1,000 in labor in swap my turbo ( which is only held on with a few bolts and hose clamps).

dont let the numbers im trhowing out scare you. had i had the time, and the motivation to do eveything myself i would have only spent about $1500 in total on repairs on this truck in the last 5 years.. most of that being from the turbo i just had to replace.

even if your willing, its gonna take so time to learn how to work on this truck, and i dont know what your situation is - maybe you have the time to spend on it yourself - maybe you'd rather just bring it to a mechanic.. so yeah - make sure you take that into considertion too. anytime you have a problem, there are dozens of very knowledgeable people on here willing to help you though it. some days i love my truck - some days i hate it. i imagine if i were younger id be more willing to do stuff myself. i always worked on my own cars. in my late teens and early twenties it was no big deal to pull a motor and trans. now im 36 and i dont even wanna cut my grass anymore.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I bought my '96 not knowing a damn thing about diesels. I've since swapped in a solid axle (which isn't deisel specific), new, larger injectors, modified High Pressure Oil Pump, etc... It's really not that hard at all. I've just used walkthroughs on here. The guys on this forum can help you diagnose pretty much any problem you will ever encounter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
what all this really boils down to - is decide what you like, then decide what you want.. once you have reached that point - then make the best educated decision you can make with buying a truck. dont rush into anything. if you cant find what you want - wait a week - look again.

you want to minimize you risks here. the sastifaction of a good price will be short lived by the reality of a bad purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a Ford dealership that my family goes to that just opened up a new diesel truck garage just down the road from the dealership I would probably go to if I were to get a diesel. For all the other little easy things that can be done at home I would most likely take care of them since I don't mind getting dirty.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
One thing that other's didn't mention is that parts are significantly more expensive. these trucks are hard on drivelines. My oil changes cost $65, tires are more expensive due to the higher weight of the truck. insurance is more expensive. Not trying to talk you out of it but a gas truck would serve your needs quite well and you could always get a diesel later down the road.

·
Registered
496 Posts
One thing that other's didn't mention is that parts are significantly more expensive. these trucks are hard on drivelines. My oil changes cost $65, tires are more expensive due to the higher weight of the truck. insurance is more expensive. Not trying to talk you out of it but a gas truck would serve your needs quite well and you could always get a diesel later down the road.
i think mine are closer to $100

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What would you all pay for a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins 5sp manual with 330k miles. The body is in good condition painted 3yrs ago has little bubbling under paint on wheel-wells. Brand new 35in nitto terra grapplers and a 3in lift. Was owned by diesel boat mechanic/automotive.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What would you all pay for a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins 5sp manual with 330k miles. The body is in good condition painted 3yrs ago has little bubbling under paint on wheel-wells. Brand new 35in nitto terra grapplers and a 3in lift. Was owned by diesel boat mechanic/automotive.
i have no idea - that question might be better off being posted on a cummins forum - one thing i can tell you is that personally, i would not even consider a truck with 330k miles on it, when there are thousands to be had with 130k on it - probably for an extra 2 grand. as much as people might argue that cummins can go for another 100k miles, every bushing, bolt, and ball joint still has 330k on it..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts