Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I'm going back to the OEM Goodyear Wranglers for MPG reasons. But to aid in traction I'm seriously debating a Detroit Locker for the rear only. I've had them F&R on my custom built Toyota 4runner Rock crawler and LOVED THEM on & off-road! How many of you guys are running Detroits? I like the idea b/c it gives great traction and doesn't consume excess fuel when commuting on-road; like bigger tires do. And I'm pretty sure OEM tires w/detroit locker Vs no locker and 285 BFg's... the Locked option will do better off-road. One thing I never really looked into was how the locker changed driving characteristics on ice and snow.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
It's similar to a good limited slip in the snow and ice. My concern would be how it reacts while towing. If you have 5,000# or more over the rear wheels with it "locked" in, it seems like it would tend to want to go straight. I have also contemplated a locker/spool, for different reasons, but have concerns on a tow rig/daily driver/play truck myself. I suspect that you are correct about traction...I would bet in most cases it would get better traction with the locker and slightly smaller tires than without the locker and slightly bigger tires. Previous experience tells me the difference betweem limited slip/open differential and locker are night and day...almost as much as 2wd to 4wd. I would like to know what you think of them if you get them and tow anything that weighs very much.
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
if you tow much at all I would just go with a good LS... if you want some decent off road capability...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the OEM FX4 LSD currently. I had a detroit in the rear of my 4runner on the street and manners were perfect. It doesn't exactly lock... One wheel is always allowed to ratchet faster than the other. So it kinda drives with the inside wheel in turns. but I never noticed it even in a light toyota with 35's and a stick shift.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
well you may of not with the toyota but when pulling a trailer that could be a different story..... but if you want more off road capablity why don't you get a electronic or airlocker?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Eh, I got so used to a detroit... Kinda miss it. I wheeled with a lot of guys that swore up and down about air/Elockers. I never cared much for them. Always a problem, one more thing to worry about. Only work half the time. I like the simplicity and reliability the Detroit offers. But Maybe I should look into a Selectable Locker. what are the options?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts