Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can offer up a solution to an issue I am having with the 310. I am 99.9 percent sure that the issue is not a tune issue but more of hardware issue. All obvious answers point to a head gasket issue but before I start ripping off parts I want to consider all possibilities.

I recently installed the 310 along with the TCM. I can operate the truck at low throttle and don't experience an issue. When I attempt to go past 1/4 throttle, or even give it a quick blurp I get coolant emanating from the degas bottle via the cap. :doh:

My boost psi isn't even going above 30 lbs. I did discover today that boost can be relatively low and due to timing cylinder pressure can be very high. This would point to head gaskets. :doh::doh: I do have one egr plate installed on the exaust side of the EGR so a cracked EGR cooler is probably not the probelm, unless not having a block off plate on the intake side could cause this issue. :dunno:

If I throw the 275 back in the truck I don't loose a drop of coolant, even if I hold the thing wide open all the way down the track. Any help in this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Are you running the AC pretty good during this time?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Negative on the A/C

After our conversation the other night I made sure the A/C was off. Any reason why the A/C would bring about this condition?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I have no idea, but I have heard that it can cause issues with coolant spewing. uga33 on here is a diesel tech, and he took my cap off over the weekend and he didnt really think I had a whole lot of pressure, and that if I did have head gasket issues it was at the very beginning of the problem. Im barely even losing any coolant, its just spewing slightly. It wont happen to me unless I am in overdrive with the converter is locked, and I am making a lot of boost (45+ psi). It will also do it when I am doing the tranny learn and flogging it over and over on bottom end.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boost maybe, maybe not ????

As I indicated above I can hold the 275 to the boards and see 49 to 51 psi of boost. I can't handle 30 psi from the 310. I think the cylinder pressure due to timing may be the culprit.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
It could be....we will have to get more input on this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you only have the EGR plate on the EGR side of the cooler, you are still heating the cooler with exhaust. possible cracked cooler or boiling it back to the degass bottle?:dunno: just a thought.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EGR Block Plate location

If you only have the EGR plate on the EGR side of the cooler, you are still heating the cooler with exhaust. possible cracked cooler or boiling it back to the degass bottle?:dunno: just a thought.
The EGR block plate that I have installed is on the exhaust or input side. This is blocking all exhaust gasses from entering the cooler.

I didn't put a block plate on the other side (EGR valve side) because I was told it was not necessary. In order for the absence of this plate to cause this situation the EGR valve would have to be faulty, causing boosted air to enter the EGR system backwards (if this was even possible). Then I would need have a cracked EGR cooler that would allow the pressurized air to enter the coolant system.

I am not entirely sure that this scenario is even possible, since I am somewhat a diesel beginner.

·
Registered
113 Posts
his plate is on the hot side of the cooler.

If it is a leaky EGR valve. With the 210 and up. THe EGR valve only cycles at idle. There will be smoke at idle. Once your on the throttle. THe EGR valve closes and the smoke should clear up.

I dont think it coolers or valve.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Egr cooler is not the problem. Honestly the issue has to be head gaskets plain and simple. It doesn't sound to be too bad as of yet, have you replaced the coolant cap? Also do you have the old style water cooled egr valve?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Egr cooler is not the problem. Honestly the issue has to be head gaskets plain and simple. It doesn't sound to be too bad as of yet, have you replaced the coolant cap? Also do you have the old style water cooled egr valve?
I do!!!! :woot:

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truth SUcks

I still have the original cap and I have access to another one should I need to rule out that option.

As far as the water cooled EGR cooler, I have the original one that came on the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
I still have the original cap and I have access to another one should I need to rule out that option.

As far as the water cooled EGR cooler, I have the original one that came on the truck.
Swap the caps, I am not talking about the cooler the valve itself is what I am asking. It's on the intake horn and should have a coolant hose inlet and outlet then route back into the coolant bottle if it's that style valve.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EGR Valve

Swap the caps, I am not talking about the cooler the valve itself is what I am asking. It's on the intake horn and should have a coolant hose inlet and outlet then route back into the coolant bottle if it's that style valve.
I will have to check that out. Is there an issue with certain valves?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts