Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys new to the forum, not new to powerstrokes tho. This is my fourth 7.3 one previous being a "obs". I've always just impulse bought upgrades never really planned any of them out. I recently bought a 2000 F-250 with 177k miles, ZF-6, single cab, 2x4. Basic old man pick up. I drive 600 miles each way to work once a week(live in east TX, roughneck in new mexico). I'm looking for reliability, with a decent amount of safe power. I went through it last week and replaced all of the ball joints and all of the tie rod ends, got an alignment and new xd addict rims with stock size tires. Nothing else is wrong with the truck except the fuel gauge doesn't work and the clutch squeaks when I press it. I'm currently looking at the following upgrades to install at once. 6637 intake, afe intake manifold, high pressure oil and fuel crossover lines, 500 hp clutch, edge evolution cs, wicked wheel, banks big head waste gate, rear diff cover(mainly cause they look badass!), a 4 inch downpipe into a 5 inch exhaust, hellwig sway bars on the front and back, rancho shocks, new stock rotors with green stuff pads, switch all fluids to synthetic, and finally ranch hand bumpers on the front and back. Any other upgrades or things I should switch up please let me know. Also I do pull a 34ft travel trailer. If you made it through all that^^^thanks.:doh:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
If you dont have a lift, nobodies gonna see that "badass" diff cover.

Afe intake manifold waste of time and money.

Edge evolution sucks balls.

You have a 6spd; you shouldn't have surge therefore saving money on an otherwise useless wicked wheel.

Wastegate complete waste of time and money and wont do ****.

And lastly you drive a work truck not nascar, why the **** did you install sway bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback I haven't purchased any of this stuff just asking about it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Get custom tunes on a ts chip, not an edge. Don't need the sway bars. Do a diy 6637 for the air filter, flows more but doesn't skimp on filtration doing so. Wastegate is useless.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Thanks for your feedback I haven't purchased any of this stuff just asking about it.
Good thinking. Now alter your list to our recommendations and come back with more questions.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks guys. Should I buy an intake manifold or do they not do much?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
They dont do anything on these trucks. At least, not for the hp/tq that you or I will ever build on these trucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright and would it be a good idea to go ahead and get a 500 hp clutch?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Wouldn't hurt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so with a ts chip, DIY intake, 5in exhaust, oil and fuel crossover lines, intake heater delete plug, and a Pusher pump(fass or air dog). What kind of hp should I be pushing? I plan on a hpop, injectors, turbo, and other upgrades about a year from now should I buy a clutch close to my hp with my first upgrades or go ahead and account for the bigger upgrades as well.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Fuel/oil xover are only for the dead-head and will help with the motor noise.

Fass wont do ****.

With the mods mentioned, probably 300-330whp depending who's tunes you use. Depending on injector size, you wont need an hpop or larger turbo.

Go ahead and buy the biggest clutch you can.. prolly a 500hp clutch. You dont want to worry about that one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright thanks for your help. No pusher pump and I found a 400 hp clutch for a lot cheaper than a 500. I may do a turbo later on but injectors and hpop are gonna stay stock.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Good plan. What kind of clutch is it? I'd be weary of what you put into the truck... not many people can build a clutch to hold 7-800ft-lbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got most of my stuff in yesterday pretty badass lol. I'm looking at either a 400hp/800tq or 450hp/900tq south bend single disk. Don't wanna get much higher and over clutch it just a little higher than everything I've got and a better turbo in a couple months.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Do the 450hp. Your truck will make a good 400 crank hp with just a chip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds good thats kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Always glad to help. Just be sure to help me when i dont know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you dont have a lift, nobodies gonna see that "badass" diff cover.

Afe intake manifold waste of time and money.

Edge evolution sucks balls.

You have a 6spd; you shouldn't have surge therefore saving money on an otherwise useless wicked wheel.

Wastegate complete waste of time and money and wont do ****.

And lastly you drive a work truck not nascar, why the **** did you install sway bars.
Do you think before you post? Every post you make (which seems like one every 3 seconds) handing out **** advice makes me wonder why you keep posting?

------

A 6-spd won't have turbo surge? Care to explain your conclusion of why?

Don't need sway bars? Again, why is this? Ever tow before?

Edge sucks? You do know you can have custom tunes put on, eh?

------

Your next to worthless posts are getting old bud. If you don't know, let someone else try to help.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Do you think before you post? Every post you make (which seems like one every 3 seconds) handing out **** advice makes me wonder why you keep posting?

------

A 6-spd won't have turbo surge? Care to explain your conclusion of why?

Don't need sway bars? Again, why is this? Ever tow before?

Edge sucks? You do know you can have custom tunes put on, eh?

------

Your next to worthless posts are getting old bud. If you don't know, let someone else try to help.
I dont remember the exact technical reason, but it has to do with the way the auto's/6spds drive differently. Go ahead and do some research. You'll soon note that far more people with automatics have turbo surge over those with 6spds.

yes I have towed before. In a nice wide variety of terrains. These trucks already have crap for suspension traversion and travel, we dont need some sway bars limiting it even more.

Yes EDGE sucks. If you have custom tunes on an Edge, its not an EDGE programmer at that point, its a pile of pricey gauges with CUSTOM tuning.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm looking for reliability, with a decent amount of safe power. I went through it last week and replaced all of the ball joints and all of the tie rod ends, got an alignment and new xd addict rims with stock size tires. Nothing else is wrong with the truck except the fuel gauge doesn't work and the clutch squeaks when I press it. I'm currently looking at the following upgrades to install at once. 6637 intake, afe intake manifold, high pressure oil and fuel crossover lines, 500 hp clutch, edge evolution cs, wicked wheel, banks big head waste gate, rear diff cover(mainly cause they look badass!), a 4 inch downpipe into a 5 inch exhaust, hellwig sway bars on the front and back, rancho shocks, new stock rotors with green stuff pads, switch all fluids to synthetic, and finally ranch hand bumpers on the front and back. Any other upgrades or things I should switch up please let me know. Also I do pull a 34ft travel trailer.
My recommendations: 4" turbo back exhaust (any bigger is for sound or looks), 6637 filter, 6-position chip (from somewhere like PHP, Beans, Gearhead, etc.). I can't speak for the crossover lines, but some say it makes a slight difference, others just have constant issues with leaks, your call. You best bet is a regulated return fuel system if you're worried about dead-heading your fuel (but this is a bit more $). Good call on the pads and stock rotors, seems like a lot of guys find that combo to last the longest. Also, the Hellwig sway bars have some great reviews, I plan to upgrade both of mine to the Hellwig ones this winter.

The clutch will have two main company recommendations, South Bend and ValAir. I have been happy with my ValAir, but the pilot bear and throw-out bearing crapped out within a year. No matter which clutch you install, use South Bend Clutch's Kevlar Pilot Bushing, it will prevent input shaft damage by not seizing like a bearing. I have put a Ford throw-out bearing in to replace the ValAir one, and it has been smoother and flawless. When you do the clutch, I recommend changing out the clutch hydraulic system with a new pre-bled unit from Napa.

The wicked wheel is only good for curing turbo surge that some people develop after increasing the power, otherwise it's no improvement. The W.W. cures some people's surge (like mine), but does nothing for some, so it's a $90 gamble if it'll help or not.

Some additional things: a Stancor GPR, adding a Diesel Site coolant filter and flushing the old crap coolant to run red ELC coolant, and some rear helper bags would help greatly towing that 34ft.

Hope this helps some.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts