Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Am considering the possibility of swapping an older PSD into a '07 F-350 and replacing the 6.0L. Has anyone come across this type of swap or perhaps knows someone directly who has done it. Suspect it might not be that bad after you get by electronics issue. My most likely candidate to drop in would be the 7.3; '02-03 version. Also, replacement engine will front the '07 Ford automatic. Any input would be appreciated. My Ford mechanic thinks I'm nuts but that's OK, he should hear what I think of him and his narrow view of the world. :icon_ford:

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
haha u might be the first! its gonna be a learning experience for sure. that would be a badazz swap i think. not a clue where to start man Im a Newb.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i dont know about dropping ina 7.3 but there are several websites you could look into that would drop a CUMMINS into that truck!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
why would you take out the 6.0 for a 7.3 thats just crazy,and stupis all in the same breath,the 6.0 is far superior than the 7.3,maybe a cummins if anything but i still say stick with 6.0 youll love it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
because 6.0's effing suck!! I want to do the same thing and have both trucks but all I get is negativity from those who are afraid to do something creative. Man, if you don't have any useful information just keep your ignorant opinions to yourself and eat my black BLACK BLACK smoke as I blow by you sitting broken down on the side of the [email protected] road with your poorly designed engine.

chris

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
ya the 7.3 is one of the best light duty diesel engines ever made!!! tying with the 5.9 and just behind the cat c-7

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I agree. Saying the 6.0 is far superior is definitely a stretch. It is better in a few areas, significantly worse in others. (In my opinion) I would like to see it if you pull it off. I might just get be willing to get a new truck if the motor swap isn't too difficult. I refuse to buy a 6.0 or even a 6.4. Between maintenance/breakage and the gas mileage, neither of those are an option for me. I will search around a bit when I get back home to MY computer this weekend and see what I can come up with. I think that's a winner of a swap although as said above, all the parts and know-how are there for the Cummin's swap and that would be a hard choice to make. Good luck, and I will post up if I can find any info.
-Aaron

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just sent an e-mail to destroked asking for an adapter plate to mate the 5r110 to the 7.3 and for any wiring information they have that might save me some time. I'll post their response up as soon as I get it.

I wouldn't buy one as my primary truck either. I got a hell of a deal on this 05 and got it with the intentions of doing this swap. Once I get the hondas up and registered (5 speed swap in to replace worthless autos) I'll just take the 99 off the road and get to it. Help, no help, I'm determined and will make it work and publish my findings, mistakes, busted knuckles etc...

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
because 6.0's effing suck!! I want to do the same thing and have both trucks but all I get is negativity from those who are afraid to do something creative. Man, if you don't have any useful information just keep your ignorant opinions to yourself and eat my black BLACK BLACK smoke as I blow by you sitting broken down on the side of the [email protected] road with your poorly designed engine.

chris
Did we forget our medicine today!:dunno:

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
Me thinks someone needs to hit the Euless skating rink, He obviously isnt out of high school yet.

Edit, I'd swap in a 460 before a 6.0.............
Skating rink? Please elaborate.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
OK fellas, stay on topic and watch the personal shots. We're all on the same team whether 6.0 or 7.3.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
yall got strayed off...cingularchris got mad bc that other guy imstokin basically dissed the hell outta all 7.3s sayin they were nothin compared to the 6.0 (bs) thats why. i was upset too, know your sh*t before you say somethin

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
oh sorry that last part was directed toward imstokin not you choctaw

·
Registered
403 Posts
yeah I don't mind if a man wants to try to keep that engine in his truck. I have both trucks, both engines. I just want to put what I believe is the best of both worlds together. pretty truck, nice updated interior, strong auto trans and transfer case, and a beast of an engine that will run for a lifetime. I get fed up with the people who know nothing about these trucks let alone swaps just posting negativity. This website is about exchange of information, buying and selling, and learning new things. I hate negativity.

Frustration builds, then someone calls me a kid who needs to take my med.... I just want the BS left aside and a GOOD thread started and carried out so those of us established enough to come up with the parts, cash, time, and location to carry out this swap can share info and work out bugs.

For all you die hard 6 liter fans, make offers on the scrap engine. I don't want it.

chris

and I actually had a double dose of my med today, it still didn't block out the nay sayers.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I like my 6-leaker, I like the 7.3's, dare I say I even like a Cummins. (just the Cummins part too, not the dodge)

I am not a die hard fan of any of them, my 6.0 treats me good and does what I want, but I would never say it is superior to the 7.3 in every way possible, it has its good points and of course its negative points which sometimes out weigh the good side of it....

BACK ON TOPIC... I would honestly try to go with a Cummins common rail swap, with a 5R110 adapter plate from destroked, and the new standalone computer to control it. I think it would be possibly the ultimate combination, especially in a 05+ superduty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is a swap i have thought about doing in the future also!! I think it would be awesome, updated truck with a good tried and true engine that wont let you down!! Good Luck!!:thumb:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Im pretty sure you will be able to run your 7.3 with you 07 tranny. Ive been told by my buddies dad to replace my tranny with a newer one, he even went so far as to say to get the 08 tranny specifically. So im sure you wont have any major issues. if you do, you might be able to try getting a performance tranny built for the 7.3 and drop it into the 07 truck.

Just tryin to give some suggestions. Swaping is waaaay outta my diesel knowlodge haha.....for now.

Good Luck!!! let me know what you decide to do and how it goes!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts