Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 94 f250 idi non turbo with 75k miles on it locally, I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on these engines. What are common problems? What should i look at when inspecting this truck, and anything to stay away from.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone got anything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
there is not much to check on these motors. they are not that powerfull, reliable easy to work on, cheaper parts than PS, and there is almost no useless sensors that fail and cause headaches. glow plug relay is kinda expensive tho' more than PS relay, check for glow plug harness if its not cracked up, fuel return rail (plastic t's and hoses). other than that not much man, make sure it starts right away, runs decent and check for leaks. thats all

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Check for proper SCA's in the coolant. You can get test strips from Napa and the sorts. If it isnt up to snuff...I would stay away from it. Without proper SCA's, the motor can suffer from caviatation which lets oil get in the coolant.

Other than that just your basic checks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm also looking at an IDI. A 93 5 speed with 160k. Stupid question but what are SCA's and could you explain caviatation? Also the truck already has a hypermax turbo

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,847 Posts
I actually own 2 1994 IDI trucks ones turbo ones not. The non turbo one is slow as hell but the turbo one has a lil power. They are very very very very reliable. I have one with 350k on the engine no leaks and runs like a champ. As long as you change the oil in them every 5k youll be fine!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm also looking at an IDI. A 93 5 speed with 160k. Stupid question but what are SCA's and could you explain caviatation? Also the truck already has a hypermax turbo
going to :bump: this up

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got a 86' 250 4x4 4 speed last year, I love it the 6.9 is so cool its a great motor before i bought it it was sitting on some guys lot up in Mntns in CO, I jus did a little bit to it like fresh fuel, fuel filter and went over everything good, and man did that thing fire right up, its an old beat up farm truck but i love it...

·
Registered
466 Posts
:bump: still wondering what are SCA's and if someone could explain caviatation :dunno:

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had 4 pre powerstroke ford diesels and have never had any trouble. Have never heard of cavitation or sca's. The only problem with these motors is the plow plugs and glow plug relay and that can be pain, but ether always works. All of mine still run and have only overhauled one at over 300,000. Make sure there is no blue or white smoke which could mean worn rings or cylinders and no water in the oil or vice versa if you are concerned about the so called cavitation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Has anyone made up an intake for these trucks? Could you modify a tymar intake?

·
Registered
5 Posts
SCA is Supplemental Coolant Additive. Cavitation is related to high compression heating and cooling inherant in most diesels. It causes weaknesses in the cylinder walls or similar areas. It has to do with leeching or pocking of the metal relative to operation. Im no technician and thats about the best I can explain it. Im sure you could look it up over at Dxxxxxstop dot com and have it explained better than that.

basically keep your coolant "fresh" with additive or check with strips from NAPA and you should be good to go..

Hope that helps a bit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts