Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a SevenThree.. which year would you buy and why?

Well I sold my 01 ext cab about a year ago and I miss it. I wanted a different color and a crew cab so I am glad I sold it but I want a PSD again!

I always read about people talking which years are the best, from I picked up I would guess the 2000 year is the best?

reasons-
-Forged Rods
-thats all that comes to mind right now...

I found a nice 2002 with 130k miles for around $16k.

What would you buy!?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 99. Just bought it a few months ago. Around here, I didn't have much choice of year for a 7.3, they are hard to find. I like mine real well, the only reason I'd like to have a newer one would be for the creature comforts- interior upgrades. My opinion is that you can't go wrong with a 7.3 super duty, no matter what year.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I found a nice 2002 with 130k miles for around $16k.

What would you buy!?
that seems kinda steep... i would try to work them down if you really want that truck.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
i bought a 2004 crew cab dually 4x4 lariat for 12,000 last summer to haul a 28 foot cow trailer.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it does seem a little high, if he wont go down to at least 15 I'll pass.

Anyways, any reason not to buy certain years?

·
Registered
796 Posts
if your really concerned about the the forged rods id shoot for anything built before the middle of 2001 for a sure buy. but unless your planning on puttin several thousand dollars into the truck to push it over 400 hp, you really have no worries with the PMR's. id look for a good truck selling for somewhere 10,000 and use some of the left over money to mod.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I got my 99 for 10k 4 years ago, dont rush and you will find a good deal man.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you are planning on spending 4k on a trans, 2,500 on injectors and 2k on a turbo then you will want forged rods. If you are just looking to pull something and have a truck, PMRs are ok. you can make 350 ish safely and push 400 if you want to take a chance. Even at 400 ish you are going to need a new trans

·
Registered
796 Posts
i personally think the trans should be right up there with gauges are afar as necessity. yet i still dont have one... such an idiot.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my 99 for 10k 4 years ago, dont rush and you will find a good deal man.
Yeah, thats a good point. If I rush into one, pay too much, then a better one with less mileage for less money will pop up the day I bring it home ha.

I'll just have to take my time looking, I would like something with less the 150k miles on it, so I figure around $10-13,500 would be a good about of $ to spend.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As to your original question of which year to focus on purchasing. There really IS no exceptional year for the 7.3. Theyre ALL excellent. HOWEVER. The later models have the nifty SD bodystyle and engineering upgrades to make a bit more power/efficiency, so its really up to what kind of look you want, and how low of mileage you can find. Forged rods vs PMR rods..... That should only be a concern if you plan to turn your truck into a drag stripping/tractor pulling/smoke belching monster. PMRs are fine for anyone just wanting a good, reliable, powerful daily driver/tow truck. I can honestly tell you that 350ish HP is plenty to pucker yer butt and at least worry pretty nearly anyone sweating you on the road, SO. Pick a year. Any year. IMHO.:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts