Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a mechanic/shop in CT to do oil cooler swap on a 2005 F-350. I'm inclined to try myself, but that job might be a bit big for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looking for a mechanic/shop in CT to do oil cooler swap on a 2005 F-350. I'm inclined to try myself, but that job might be a bit big for me. Thanks!
I don't know any shops, but I'd be the first to say it's really not that bad to do a cooler. Check out some YouTube vids on it

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
I live in Middletown and can give you a hand if you want it its a good "saturday" project, have done it a few times on my buddies trucks. however, if you want a good shop, MORIN Diesel in Portland does good work, they are a heavy diesel shop but do Light truck Diesels too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boudah, Thanks for the offer. I've been thinking about doing it myself and I just may take you up on it once the weather warms up.
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
yeah man, the biggest thing is to just make sure you have all of the parts in advance and have some extra money set aside incase something breaks haha. if you have a topside creeper, that will help but can be done laying some blankets on the front w/ a step stool.

The other thing is if ur doing the cooler, its a prime time to do other stuff too if you have the extra time like stand pipe, dummy plugs, the HPOP T/o rings/ etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha. For sure. I'm planning to pickup a top creeper. I did the EGR hose a couple months ago and it was the first real work I had done on this truck and using a step stool just didn't cut it. Thanks for the advice on the other maintenance I can do while there. I'll consider that when I order the cooler.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,999 Posts
If you haven't done the STC fitting and the dummy plugs, you would be crazy not to do them - especially with an offer for help along with it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
STC... idk why i said HPOP T.. LOL ohwell. yeah when i did my Buddies heads and Oil Cooler we replaced

Cooler
Stand Pipes
Dummy plugs
STC-hpop
Turbo drain/hardline feed
all gaskts/orings
installed FUMOTO valves
coolant flush and then ELC coolant
new Serp tensioner and belt
and some other maintenance items. ( i have the fan tools to get the but off )

All in all it took us the better part of a Saturday. The longest part was cranking the motor w/ the starter pig tail to prime the oil system and then charging the batteries. youll need a GOOD battery charger so if u dont have one, rent it or buy it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey guys. Now that I was able to finally register a second car to drive, I decided to dive into the oil cooler replacement. The truck has been running 20-30 degrees delta between oil and coolant temp. I just wrapped up for today and almost got the turbo out. It took me awhile to get the rear clamp nut off. I tried using an air ratchet, but having a ****ty compressor didn't help. I had to soak it and was finally to put a socket on it with a stubby ratchet and get the nut off. The mounting bolts are out of the turbo, but I couldn't get that back clamp to release, so I soaked it and called it a day. All in all, I made good progress since I haven't worked on this truck much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a quick search and found a suggestion for using an air hammer to loosen the turbo clamps. I tried it and it worked. The turbo is off so now working on removing the intake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Intake out and ready to remove the oil cooler.

·
5,999 Posts
Good job man. Clean that valley up before getting into the oil cooler.

·
5,999 Posts
Getting ANY contaminants into the HPOP sump under the oil cooler can cause you headaches later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help and advice. I put in a new oil cooler, thermostat, filters and ELC. The truck is running great and EOT is much lower. It has been very hot here in CT with temps in 100+ and the highest delta I've observed is 7.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts