Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the differences between the ('03-'04) 6.0's and the ('05-'07) 6.0's, motor and body. I know in '05, ford went to a different grill and headlights. anything else? any motor differences? when did the front axel change to coil springs? when did the torqueshift start?

about what hp/tq can a stock motor/tranny handle? of course I would have gauges, exhaust and an intake.

what mods are available for the tranny?

any other advice?

thanks for the help, I don't have a lot of time to search for ALL these questions right now. so any help would be great. :thumb:

·
Registered
674 Posts
The 03 and early 04 had a turbo with 10 exhaust vanes which makes some insane turbo whistle. The late 04's have a 12 or 13 vane turbo(I can't remember which). The 05-07's have a thicker head gasket which is supposed to compensate for the stock head bolts stretching as well as a turbo with 15 vanes. The 05-07's also have slightly different egr components, I think it is mostly the up pipe to the turbo that is different. In 05 they went to the coil spring front axle as well as the updated grill and headlights. All 6.0's with an auto had the torqueshift trans. A stock trans will handle around 450-500hp before you will need to upgrade it. If you run a tuner the stock head bolts will be the first thing to fail, that is why head studs are a good idea with any 6.0. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i think that "echo" pretty much covered it all. and supposedly they refined the engine for the '05 & up engines o make them more reliable

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there and "in dash" boost gauge in the '05's and up? like the '08's

are there any HP differences. i know in the cummins and duramax's there might be a 10hp diff between certain years.

what's the rwhp on a stock 6.0?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,668 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
i believe a stock 6.0 dyno's at around 265rwhp

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i can't seem to find any shift on the fly power adders for the 6.0, any ideas? other than the edge.

·
Sparkplugs Not Required
405 Posts
My '05 has an in dash boost gauge. Also, I believe that the Torqueshift came out in '05. I think that the '03's and '04's have the 4R100.......:dunno:

·
Registered
492 Posts
my 05 had a boost gauge which compared to the edge readout was fairly accurate. my edge chip was the juice platinum. i also put a 4" mbrp pipe with a flow thru muffler. i hollowed the guts from the cat and straight piped through the middle of it. i did have a little tranny work done to it because i pulled with it but i don't think at my hp level it was needed. the upgrades never helped the fuel economy out but it only had 36000 on it when i sold it. i loved the truck though. the 05 front end is worth getting though. it is nice being able to u-turn in the city.

·
Registered
551 Posts
All of the 05's and new that I looked at while shopping for mine (XLT's and Lariats) had a boost guage in the dash.

:twocents: Mark

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Bullydog is shift on the fly if you plug the box in also... Or you could just get the SCT and get one of our vendors to make you a custom tune that will rock your world, and keep the tranny a bit happier at the higher HP numbers.

I like my 06 with the coil spring front suspension ALLLOT better than my 04 with leafs. It turns alot better, you can put a bigger tire on easier, it rides slightly better also. Yes all the 05+ have the boost gauge in dash.

·
Registered
412 Posts
With the 03-04's they are getting alittle more power out of them than the 05 and up. I am old school and I like my buckboard that I have to use the north forty to turn around in.:hehe: I just park where ever I want to.

·
Registered
999 Posts
shift on the fly is over rater with a 6.0l cause the tranny cant learn quik enough so when u want the power and crank it up the tranny shifts are crazy i would get a SCT with a custom tune or 2 and u can run it all the time its great i have had shift on the fly (bully dog,edge,quadzilla) i still have the quadzilla

Matt

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so the tranny requires a learning time?

did the 05+ go the 17" wheels?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The 03's are faster than the other years.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Yes and yes. That is why the SCT is nice because it reprograms the transmission as well as the motor.
05 they went to 17" rims because they put bigger brakes on.

·
Registered
551 Posts

The auto's use what Ford calls and adaptive drive strategy so yes there is a "learning" period for them.

I think all the 05's and newer had 17's, 18's, or 20's depending on options and trim.

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts