Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have predominantly been in the market for a cateye Duramax, but I've recently gained some interest for 6.0 Powerstrokes. Searching on marketplace I found a truck that is pretty close to me that I would be interested in. It is an 06 F250 Standard Cab Long Bed 4x4. It only has a little under 83000 miles, and the only work that appears to have been done is an exhaust and an egr delete. I have been doing a bunch of research on 6.0s, so I kind of know what to look for and what to do to it right away for reliability. What I wonder is, at an average of 5500 miles a year, are there certain items, like the turbo, that are not going to be happy from having sat a bunch? What should I look for in this case? I plan on taking the truck to Powerstroke Specialty for the whole nine yards in a year or two, but what should I do for reliability on more of a budget in the meantime?

Thanks,
AJ

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Always start with a coolant filter to start cleaning up what will otherwise be strained out in the oil cooler. Get a way to monitor things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
That is one clean truck. I'd say the interior matches the miles and if the engine was cared for in the same way... It's a buyer, price dependant.
IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO RUN FORSCAN OR TORQUE PRO. TO CHECK ENGINE PARAMETERS, WHILE UNDER LOAD, BEFORE PURCHASING!

With the egr deleted, change/flush the Ford gold coolant out and replace with an elc coolant, then I wouldn't worry about short term reliability beyond that. Don't run a tune, besides a tow tune if towing, and keep fluids changed at proper intervals.

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
222 Posts
Clean looking truck. Drive it for 30 minutes at least. Take a good scanner and see if it throws any codes. Budget another 1k to 2k for maintenance.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Budget another 1k to 2k for maintenance.
It's important to change all the filters and fluids when buying one of these. At the very least, you know what you have in it. The best is, avoiding problems that lack of maintenance causes..... Also, be 100% sure you have a stock/eom oil filter cap, this is with out a doubt the biggest "small" problem causer for new 6.0 owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's important to change all the filters and fluids when buying one of these. At the very least, you know what you have in it. The best is, avoiding problems that lack of maintenance causes.....
I plan on changing pretty much all of the fluids and filters right away so I know where it's at for maintenance intervals. I know there is kind of a debate over which oil is the best, but what are a few good brands to look for, filters as well?

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Have you bought this truck yet? If not, call the dealer to see if its still available. There's quite a few good looking trucks on cragslist listed local to me by dealers where when you go to the dealer website, the same truck is not listed there. Some of those trucks have been listed on Craigslist about two years. I think the dealer may have "forgotten" to take these trucks off craigslist, but a side effect is that people show up at that dealer for a truck, and often are in the mood for any truck.

The cab style is unusual. Not a bad thing. You just don't see many of the Powerstrokes in that cab.

Although not strictly for 6.0s, this is a good how to buy Powerstroke series.

If only I'd seen that video before I bought mine. Some simple things like looking under the truck for oil leaks to other things like checking the paint on the inside to match the outside is a big thing.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,248 Posts
6.0L specific things:

As identified above - get an engine scan tool and use it to assess the oil cooler status (Ask questions if you need to know how to identify a plugged oil cooler. That is an EXPENSIVE job and easy to identify with an engine scan tool (smart phone apps are very reasonable - even with the OBDII ELM 327 adapter .....ForScan or TorquePro are two good ones).

Another important check is to see if you have pressure building in the degas bottle. It requires some hose and a pressure gauge, but it isn't particularly hard to do. Identifying a head gasket issue before buying a used 6.0L would be a good thing.

Even if you plan to do some major upgrades after a purchase, identifying issues before buying will give you leverage on the asking price.

If/when you do buy one, get a fuel [pressure monitoring system ASAP. Low fuel pressure can ruin the (expensive) injectors.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know there is kind of a debate over which oil is the best, but what are a few good brands to look for, filters as well?
you're right, there is a lot of debate. so read those threads and decide for yourself. I will not mention one brand because i dont want this to turn into another oil "pissing contest"

for fuel and oil filters, OEM(Motorcraft) Always!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Story of my life, found a truck I'd buy and then it sells the day after I found it! Back to the drawing board I guess, but thanks for all the help! I'll keep it in mind as I look at more.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Story of my life, found a truck I'd buy and then it sells the day after I found it! Back to the drawing board I guess, but thanks for all the help! I'll keep it in mind as I look at more.
If you see a truck you really like, it’s a good idea to put some money down on the truck to hold it. $500 or 1,000 usually is sufficient to show good faith. There are two ways to do this, refundable money and non- refundable money. Write a simple one paragraph note with the agreed-to terms and give the owner as small amount of money as you think is needed to make him comfortable with his truck effectively being off the market for the short time it takes you to do your due diligence work, i.e. check-out the truck.

Enforcement can be a problem with these small private party deals but personally, I have seldom had a problem. It seems that whenever I have to deal with the public in order to buy or sell something, I am continually surprised at how decent and upright most folks have been during the transactions. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Mill.AJ

·
Registered
326 Posts
I plan on changing pretty much all of the fluids and filters right away so I know where it's at for maintenance intervals. I know there is kind of a debate over which oil is the best, but what are a few good brands to look for, filters as well?
Any good synthetic, I've been running Amsoil for 14 years in the same truck.
It's worth the cost

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 F350 6.0 that I bought in 2013 with a little over 90K miles on it. Since then and 50K miles later I have invested the purchase price in all of the nagging 6.0 issues (including a front suspension rebuild). Some 6.0s seem to be better than others and on the surface at the time of purchase mine looked like it had an exceptional amount of "tender loving care". That said I would recommend taking it to another service facility that is experienced with 6.0s and has the instrumentation to do a scan on it for fuel injection pressure(s) and a cylinder contribution test. Along with that run it up on the highway and see what the differential is between engine oil temp vs engine water temp. The (running) cooling system pressure test from the degas bottle is a good idea too, some head gasket leaks are more apparent than others. Make sure that there are no leaks on the tailshaft of the transmission that may be an indication of a crack, (I had a 2005 6.0 that had a crack but they may have sorted that out by 2006). Whatever service facility you choose may have additional ideas on tests to perform.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you see a truck you really like, it’s a good idea to put some money down on the truck to hold it. $500 or 1,000 usually is sufficient to show good faith. There are two ways to do this, refundable money and non- refundable money. Write a simple one paragraph note with the agreed-to terms and give the owner as small amount of money as you think is needed to make him comfortable with his truck effectively being off the market for the short time it takes you to do your due diligence work, i.e. check-out the truck.

Enforcement can be a problem with these small private party deals but personally, I have seldom had a problem. It seems that whenever I have to deal with the public in order to buy or sell something, I am continually surprised at how decent and upright most folks have been during the transactions. Good luck in your search.
That is what the majority of people are like. The 90+ percenters. It's the main stream media who wants you to think everyone is a crook. B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts