Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1997 CCSB 4x4 7.3 auto with 197K miles. He said he put a new factory direct transmission in along with a HD torque converter about 40k miles ago. From pictures, the truck looks very clean.
What key things should I make sure I inspect carefully before handing over my hard earned money?
Hoping to take a look at it this afternoon, or tomorrow sometime. :doh:

Oh he also said he put a new CPU in about 8-10 months ago (I'm assuming he means the PCM, or would that be the ECU?)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
he probably confusing cpu with pcm, but could be either.

check for leaks, check turbo for shaft play and fin damage. be sure air box has metal screws on top not plastic, if the box still exists anyway. pull the oil fill cap, place it upside down on the filler hole and crank, see if it pops (no vibrates) off. a little air is normal. if it pops or shoots off thats a good indicator of blowby. if it leaks note what and where and we may be able to answer whats your looking at for repair. good luck!

also, see if he has a receipt for that tranny and tq converter...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info! What do I need to gain access to the turbo to inspect shaft play and fins? screwdrivers or some nut drivers? I'm assuming I'll pull the airbox to see it?
He says he has receipt from the dealership. I'll look for those for sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If it still has the orange air intake tube(connected to the turbo) check it for cracks. The new Ford updated on is black and comes with a new bracket. If you're in the rust belt, check the rear spring hangers, and around the rear wheel well lips for rust.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and bought it. I'm a little apprehensive to givin' up my '08 and rollin' in this permanently only because I'm gonna miss all the ammenities of my '08.

This truck is cherry. Turbo is in perfect shape, metal screws on airbox, orange boot is solid, no blow by and no rust anywhere! The driver seat is a little soft sponge where PO had been sliding in and out of the seat. Here's the only thing that makes me a bit nervous. Tell me what you all think?

Picture 002.jpg

And here it is home, next to it's younger brother, the '08.
Picture 001.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
nice looking truck

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hard to tell where the leak is coming from from that pic. Could be the RMS, or it could just be the oil pan gasket. Take some degreaser and wipe it all nice and clean, and then drive it around a bit and see where the oil is coming from... take a pic and post up if necessary

And nice truck! Makes my miss my old one even more... man I gotta sell my SD already so I can get another OBS lol.

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
dont mean to hijack but what it a d60 front :dunno:
Dana Spicer Corp's solution for a one-ton rated solid axle, used in both front and rear applications in tons of different vehicles. For us, it's a good replacement for the D50 TTB, which is basically a split version of the 60. Also is largely used in rock crawling and has TONS of aftermarket support, enough that you can buy upgraded everything for it and assemble one from the parts.

Here's the Dana 60 Bible... read it and learn. But don't post anything on Pirate 4x4 unless it's advanced stuff, like building a custom rock crawler chassis from scratch... newbies aren't exactly taken in with open arms there lol.

And thus ends the hijack.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Mine leaks from the pan that is mounted to the front of the tranny,from the little weep hole.been getting worse anyone know what it might be?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts