Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want to know a few things to look for when checkin out an IDI. not sure if its turbo yet or an IDI N/A. may even be a pstroke, its a 94. ill know when i get there. any common things to look for besides the cylinders corroding, which i cant see. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
162 Posts
glow plug relay failure is common in the IDI. most guys bypass them and install a rocker switch in the cab, so they only heat up when you want them too. Fuel/water seperator filters are kinda cashy $50. Not bad to work on though. U can find a lot of die hard IDI(6.9 and 7.3) guys on oilburners.net. Lots of knowledge and help.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Head gaskets leaking at rear and E4OD's.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the E4OD transmissions in these are an expensive fix as well. There have been several upgrades to them since the original. Mine was rebuilt at 170,000. It was rebuilt by a local guy $800 with no upgrades. At 205,000 it went out again. Had it rebuilt with upgrades (torque convertor etc.)from a good shop with warranty and it was $2500. I learned a lesson.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
e4od im not too worried about its got 150k, and i know where i can get one cheap. and im on oilburners too lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts