Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2005 f350 with the 6.0. It cranks for 4-5 secs before starting. Once started, it runs great, and when at operationinformation temp, it starts perfectly. Batteries tested weak, so I replaced them both. FICM tested and good. I apologize If this has been asked and answered before, but I am almost cross eyed from reading, and I can't find anything describing my problem.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Ahh it is a diesel 4 or 5 seconds for a diesel with a bit of mileage is not abnormal.

Compression of the air is what ignites the fuel mixture, the pistons have to go up and down a few times before it can get the cylinder warm enough to do that even with the glow plugs working correctly especially when it gets colder ouside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive truck for a living, and my last pickup was the 7.3. This 6.0 is a whole different animal, I know the basics of a diesel, this just seems a bit excessive.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Well yer quite right the 6.0 is a whole nuther ball game.
In reality you would need a live data scan with a real scan tool to know what is actually going on while starting. Get it tested.

I have worked on a lot of diesels in the last 47 years pickups; class 8's; marine and industrial engines and except when brand new I have seldom seen one lite off in only a couple of seconds. But thats just me no offense meant.

Read the sticky on the 6.0 Problems forum it will confirm that the 6.0 is a whole other animal. It will also give ya most of the hard start no start problems, tests and soloutions found by the membership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed all filters,(motorcraft filters) and oil. I am running Rotella T6 now. Ran the truck a little over a week, and seems as though the long crank is gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts