Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 f350 lariat 110000 miles. Cranks 10 seconds before starting. No codes. No rough idle. Runs great once it starts. Oem oil and fuel filters. Ficm volts range from 47 to 48. Icp volts .2 key on engine off. 0.9 ideling at operating temp. Batteries stay above 10 volts. Not sure of fuel pressure. Like to get this fixed before it starts gettin too cold. And it starts right up after its warm. Just the first start after sitting all night it cranks long. Thanks for any help. Need any more info let me know. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
06 f350 lariat 110000 miles. Cranks 10 seconds before starting. No codes. No rough idle. Runs great once it starts. Oem oil and fuel filters. Ficm volts range from 47 to 48. Icp volts .2 key on engine off. 0.9 ideling at operating temp. Batteries stay above 10 volts. Not sure of fuel pressure. Like to get this fixed before it starts gettin too cold. And it starts right up after its warm. Just the first start after sitting all night it cranks long. Thanks for any help. Need any more info let me know. Thanks again
had the same thing happen to me...Low pressure oil pump feeds high pressure oil pump for injectors... Wasn't getting enough oil to the HPOP due to a faulty low oil pressure relief valve...Down on the bottom of the front engine cover just behind the crankshaft pulley is the low pressure oil pump, on the bottom of the pump is a pressure relief valve! If the valve is sticking in the bore or the spring is broke it will allow for any pressure that the pump makes to dump back to the oil pan! On mine the spring was broken...Note the orientation of the valve and the spring as you take them out as it is possible to insert them back incorrectly! the plug requires a hex head socket or allen wrench and is 10mm I believe! If the valve bore is fine, replace the valve and spring and see if you get your oil pressure back! My Mechanic told me he replaces these quite often on the 6.0.

Read more: I Have a 04 ford e450, 6.0 diesel, 178j miles, i... - JustAnswer I Have a 04 ford e450, 6.0 diesel, 178j miles, i had a no start - JustAnswer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked it looked fine. Still same problem. Ficm going bad at 47 volts? Unplugged icp and still long crank. Any other suggestions would help. Thanks

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Are you sure the oil filter cap is oem also? When/how did this start to be a problem?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not 100% percent sure but that would be easy enough to change. Do you think it's something simple like that rather than a hpop lpop leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only had the truck a few months so I'm new to all this but have been reading a lot on here. It cranks for the same amount of time when the ambient temp is 90 or 40. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I uploaded a video to YouTube of the first start this morning. Search YouTube for "2006 6.0 long crank to start" I don't know how to upload directly to this site.

·
Registered
205 Posts
click the video and copy the link and paste it here as a response..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Once it finally starts does it start smooth or does it kick and buck around for a second or two? If it doesn't start smooth it might e as simple as stiction.. Are you running synthetic?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would have said STC fitting or dummy plugs and stand pipes, but you say there are no problems with hot starts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rotella t6 and no hot start problems. Once it's started it runs fine. How do I know if the oil filter cap is oem?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Are you saying your batteries stay above 10v cranking or running after the glow plugs?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Batteries are 12.4 volts after sitting all night. While cranking I have seen them as low as 10.1 volts. After its started they go up to about 13.8 volts.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts