Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started in the last week or so. When starting the truck it cranks longer than normal, seems weak, and then starts. The insight shows 8-9 volts when cranking. The batteries tested good with a load, the alternator is new and tested good, the FICM is good and recently repaired. It happens when the truck has sat for any amount of time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
How old are the batteries? Mine did the same thing but would not start after a while of this. I hooked up a charger to the passenger side battery and the truck started right up. Batteries tested good but the voltage was to low. Get new batteries.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Mine does the same thing sometimes, except my batt voltage drops to 10.5, it won't do it on the stock tune only high hp tunes. I just bought two new motorcraft batteries yesterday, we'll see how that goes. I'm leaning towards a bad gpcm, but everybody keeps telling me its not.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The batteries are two years old, but they tested good under load at a buddys shop and here at our work, so I am pretty sure they are good. I will put them on a charger over the next couple of days and I will see what happens.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hear about 2 years are the life of the batteries on our trucks let us know what u come up with

·
Registered
534 Posts
I hear about 2 years are the life of the batteries on our trucks let us know what u come up with
I dont know about that.. A good set of batteries should last atleast 3-5 years. I just replaced my stock batteries on my 05 and thats only because they were just starting to crank alittle slow and I dont want to mess up the FICM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts