Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced ball joints, seals, and u-joints on front axle of my 2007 F250. The job wasn't too bad except for snap ring removal. My existing set of pliers was not stout enough for the job and after searching the various local auto parts and hardware stores I quickly determined that none of their snap ring pliers were up to the heavy duty task. I ended up buying a set of Proto 395 pliers from Grainger. Made in the USA and worked perfect !

My only problem now is that my auto lockouts won't slide back into the hubs. The outer lockout splines will line up with the hub and go in about 1/3 of the way and then hit the axle shaft without going any further in (even while spinning the hub and/or axle shaft). The lockouts, hubs, and axles are the exact same that came off the truck. I even tried another setup of manual lockouts from a friend....same issue. It is almost like the axle shaft isnt exactly centered inside the hub. Anyone else ever have this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Just replaced ball joints, seals, and u-joints on front axle of my 2007 F250. The job wasn't too bad except for snap ring removal. My existing set of pliers was not stout enough for the job and after searching the various local auto parts and hardware stores I quickly determined that none of their snap ring pliers were up to the heavy duty task. I ended up buying a set of Proto 395 pliers from Grainger. Made in the USA and worked perfect !

My only problem now is that my auto lockouts won't slide back into the hubs. The outer lockout splines will line up with the hub and go in about 1/3 of the way and then hit the axle shaft without going any further in (even while spinning the hub and/or axle shaft). The lockouts, hubs, and axles are the exact same that came off the truck. I even tried another setup of manual lockouts from a friend....same issue. It is almost like the axle shaft isnt exactly centered inside the hub. Anyone else ever have this issue?
Are you sure the axle shaft is inserted all the way into the hub, putting the snap ring in the correct place on the shaft?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem when I took my hubs apart to clean and grease them. The driver side hub slid back in without a problem but it took me a good 15 minutes of dickering to get the passenger side in. Just wiggle it around and be careful not to damage the splines and it will go back in with some patience.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Maybe try pulling the shaft back out and reinstalling making sure it seats all the way, nothing will fit right if that shaft isn't all the way in there. It can be kinda tricky but I always just reach around the knuckle and grab the axle there and from the front and wiggle it up in down while pushing it in till it seats in there all the way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts