Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which full manual locking hubs do you use and why?

• Mile Marker

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Warn Standard

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Warn Premium

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Superwinch

Votes: 4 8.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our 2003 F350 SRW needs new locking hubs for the front end. Does anyone have positive or negative things to say about the Warn, Mile Marker, or Superwinch hubs?

Here are the options I've seen:

Mile Markers: PN 449SS: Mile Marker 449SS - Mile Marker Supreme Locking Hubs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Housing Material Stainless steel
Housing Finish Polished
Dial Material Stainless steel

Warn Standards: PN 11690: Warn 11690 - Warn Standard Manual Hubs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Housing Material Cast aluminum
Housing Finish Chrome
Dial Material Aluminum

Warm Premium: PN 38896: Warn 38826 - Warn Premium Manual Hubs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Housing Finish Chrome
Dial Material Zinc aluminum alloy

Superwinch: PN 400439: Superwinch 400439 - Superwinch Premium Hubs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Housing Finish Polished
Dial Material Nylon

I see all but Mile Markers have aluminum housing and dials. The Mile Markers are stainless steel "jackets" with die cast aluminum cast inside. The Superwinch have nylon dials which makes me want to steer clear of them.

If you plug the vacuum lines do you need to do anything else to convert over to full manual hubs? I see some kits list "conversion kits", are these necessary for Super duty trucks?

I'm leaning towards the Mile Markers since they seem to have stronger materials and reasonable price.

-Dustin-

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My last 99 I had mile marker hubs, I got a great deal on a hub/winch combo so I said WTH. They worked flawlessly without any issues until I sold the truck, and still work well. I've had warn premiums as well, and can't say anything bad about them either, but the mile marker hubs seemed to be of a higher quality.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Here is something to consider-

The mile markers are all metal, and 1/4 turn
The standard warn hubs have a plastic knob, and are a 1/4 turn
The warn premium hubs are all metal, however they take nearly a full turn to lock.

During the winter I had issues with the warns being a bit too stiff-I needed a pair of pliers a few times. Not so with the mile markers. Finally, the fact the mile markers are stainless sold me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, and they are cheaper!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our truck has a standard warn on one side [previous owner] and when I had it apart it seemed surprisingly cheap. Looks like it's going to be between Premiums and Mile Markers, and ease of locking in the winter is important to me. Plastic knobs are a no-no in my mind.

I checked Mile Markers site and it shows a part number 95-32721 conversion kit, is that necessary for a 03 Powerstroke?

-Dustin-

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Not sure what mine are, they were replaced right before I bought the truck. But they are plastic and I live in Michigan. Have never had any problems in the winter.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
For replacements Warn Premium are the only choice for me.

But there is little wrong with the factory hubs. They get a bad wrap by people who fail to perform proper maintenance and then blame the ESOF for them being stuck. My ESOF system has never left me stranded. I have performed the proper maintenance on the hubs and vac lines going to them. I am ordering this next week which will eliminate the vac line to the hub problems.

http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-2004f250f350dieselsite4wdesofhosekit.aspx

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Warn Premiums are the way to go.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I hhave the standard warns on my yellow truck, and have had a snapring on the back of them come off, rendering them useless... they won't ingauge, fixed it once, and might be an issue again, because I had to get pulled out the other night at the county fair due to not having 4x4. Rather embarassing too, a 4x4 John Deere lawn tractor pulled out my F350 dually... So, I'll be checking the hubs for the popped off snap ring, and concidering other hubs when I replace the ones on my red truck. Also not too impressed with ammount of plastic/light parts in the standard Warn hubs... just expected 'more' when I ordered them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked Mile Markers site and it shows a part number 95-32721 conversion kit, is that necessary for a 03 Powerstroke?
The kit is necessary to allow the new hub to fit correctly.

But there is little wrong with the factory hubs.
Regardless we have mismatched hubs and I need to get one good set on there rather than a cheap warn on one side and a stuck factory one on the other.

I found Mile Markers for $112 shipped and the nut kit for $57 shipped, that brings the total for Mile Markers to $169 compared to the lowest priced Warn Premium I could find at $209.

I'm buying a set today, looks like mile markers.

-Dustin-

·
Registered
751 Posts
I am on my second set of Mile Marker 449SS lockouts . . . my factory hubs still work but click . . . is there a way to service the OE lockouts??? b/c in my opinion they are the best by far . . . i just can't justify $550 for new ones from the dealer yet.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I am on my second set of Mile Marker 449SS lockouts . . . my factory hubs still work but click . . . is there a way to service the OE lockouts??? b/c in my opinion they are the best by far . . . i just can't justify $550 for new ones from the dealer yet.
I find it hard to believe ANYONE thinks the OEM lockouts are better than mile marker or warn. They are complete trash in the 99-04. The only stock hubs that are worth a damn are the 05-up. (made by warn I believe)

As for servicing the factory hubs, here you go. Very good writeup.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

It is not mine, and I take no credit for the work contained within. I'm just linking!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I find it hard to believe ANYONE thinks the OEM lockouts are better than mile marker or warn. They are complete trash in the 99-04. The only stock hubs that are worth a damn are the 05-up. (made by warn I believe)

As for servicing the factory hubs, here you go. Very good writeup.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

It is not mine, and I take no credit for the work contained within. I'm just linking!
Thanks . . . i will do this tonight . . . i have a brand new set of MM449SS lockouts in the box but like the factory ones for some reason . . . also I do not like that the aftermarket lockouts don't stick out as far as the factory ones also. When plowing and pulling people out of offroad adventures the factory lockouts have been tried and true for me . . .just my experience.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bought the milemarker 449ss hubs for my truck when summit had them for like 79$. I did not need any special kit to install them, they came with the snap rings and screws. The old OEM trash hubs pop out and the new ones pop right in.

Why are warns better? I have never heard of anyone having failures with either. People seem to decisively dismiss anything other than warn hubs but don't provide any reason.

The milemarkers are stainless steel and have worked flawlessly for me. This innards seem perfectly sufficient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mile Marker told me I needed the nut conversion kit. The tech just kept saying I needed a different nut for the hub to fit. I'll be reporting back what I find with pictures.

-Dustin-

·
Registered
751 Posts
I bought the milemarker 449ss hubs for my truck when summit had them for like 79$. I did not need any special kit to install them, they came with the snap rings and screws. The old OEM trash hubs pop out and the new ones pop right in.

Why are warns better? I have never heard of anyone having failures with either. People seem to decisively dismiss anything other than warn hubs but don't provide any reason.

The milemarkers are stainless steel and have worked flawlessly for me. This innards seem perfectly sufficient.
$79??? Wow, I paid more than double that and I bought them from Summit Racing as well. Most users won't put the lockouts to the test and just use them for "light" offroad and during snow conditions on the street. I use mine for plowing and offroad but at a different level than the average user and i think that a company as big as Ford is going to spend a lot more $$ on R&D for their OE parts than the aftermarket world will ever come close to. My personal preference is always OE if I can afford it. My dad has the Warn Premiums and after just 2 years the outer layer has flaked off and they look like crap. My first set of the 449ss milemarkers I stripped out the innerds when trying to pull out an F550 oil rig that was stuck.

Mile Marker told me I needed the nut conversion kit. The tech just kept saying I needed a different nut for the hub to fit. I'll be reporting back what I find with pictures.

-Dustin-
Directly from MileMarker Tech . . . Here is the kit I needed to keep them tight in the hub . . .

Kit I was told is part# 105-15

Could you email me a copy of your receipt please?
KENRICK PERKINS | R&D / Technical / Warranty | Mile Marker Inc.
2121 Blount Rd Pompano Bch, FL 33069 | ( (800) 886-8647 |* [email protected]
: www.milemarker.com

( (954)782-0604 ext: 113
Fax:(954)782-0770
warranty fax: (954)917-3398

ISO 9001:2000 Cert. # 11940
Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, contains or may contain confidential information intended only for the addressee. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, be advised that any reading, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply message and delete this email message and any attachments from your system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have used warns and also the mile marker.
Both worked flawlessly and I have no complaints with either product.

I do prefer the mile-marker ones to the WARN hubs though. I don't know if its just me but they felt stockier than the warn hubs (while installing, locking and unlocking) and I like the looks better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So are you guys just installing them behind the stock center cap? I have a set and I think it looked a little weird being they sit so far inside the center cap?? Is there any ways around this?????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts