Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

I ws told by a mechanic (not my regular guy) that the locking hubs on my 02 F250 will lock the differential on my front axle. I thought it just engaged the hubs to the axles, and had nothing to do with the diff. It is all stock, no front locker. The truck has the factory off road package though. The stock diff is still an open diff right? Locking the hubs manually is just a backup to the vacuum system. Right or wrong?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You are correct. Locking the hubs only engages the hubs to the axles. If your front differential is stock, then it has an open carrier (no locker).

The actual stock front hubs have the locking feature as a backup system, like you stated.

·
Registered
805 Posts
^^^^What this guy said^^^^ I agreee 100%

Should tell that "mechanic" to find a new profession! No hub locks a differential, period! All it does is free the hub from the axle so it does not turn your axles and D line all the time. A locker or welder is the only things that can lock your differentials.

·
Registered
400 Posts
So do you have to lock the hubs for the 4x4 system to work or can you leave them unlocked and just engaged the 4x4 system and the front wheels still engage. From my understanding was that you had to lock your hubs for the front wheels to grab when in 4x4

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
They Do need to be locked to give you 4WD. If you have a Manual TC (transfercase) then you need to Manually lock-in your hubs (I leave mine IN all Winter long so I can just goto 4WD anytime I want). If you have ESOF (ElectronicShiftOnTheFly) then you have a motorized TC and Vacuum hubs that will give you 4WD from the sw in the dash. It will engage Both the hubs and the TC (if everything's working right ;) )

·
Registered
400 Posts
Alright thats what i thought but one more question I do have the manual transfer case do you have to be fully stopped to engage 4x4 or can you do it on the fly I've seen it both ways and I always stop before engaging 4x4

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Depends, if you want to go from 2WD to 4WD(Hi) you can do that while you're moving, just not accelerating. I "lift" and ease the lever forward, never had a grind or anything, you can do it safely. BUT if you need 4WD(Low) you gotta Stop. In fact, it's best to put the Shift Selector in N to come out of Low, might even be a good idea when putting it in too...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Alright thanks I knew with the electric shift you could but unsure with the manual

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
In fact, it's best to put the Shift Selector in N to come out of Low, might even be a good idea when putting it in too...
The ESOF trucks won't shift into low unless the transmission is in neutral.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
New guy here, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

I ws told by a mechanic (not my regular guy) that the locking hubs on my 02 F250 will lock the differential on my front axle. I thought it just engaged the hubs to the axles, and had nothing to do with the diff. It is all stock, no front locker. The truck has the factory off road package though. The stock diff is still an open diff right? Locking the hubs manually is just a backup to the vacuum system. Right or wrong?
You are correct. Although if you have the offoard package, you prolly have a LSD rear.

The ESOF trucks won't shift into low unless the transmission is in neutral.
The manual t-case wont go into low w/out tranny being in neutral also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts