Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed when I was installing my new centramatics and spinning my wheels/tires just to see if they were still mostly round that both my hubs appear to be permanently engaged. (Guess that explains the slight fuel mileage drop I have been noticing/wondering about.) While this may be the case, I suspect that maybe the bearings that support the axle shaft when the hubs are unlocked may be the culprit. I haven't torn into it yet, because my wife is deployed and my son isn't quite 2 yet, so he takes almost constant supervision, but can someone refresh my memory how these axles/hubs are put together? I had them off once to do ball joints and can't remember EXACTLY how these are set up. Is that bearing that supports the axle shaft in the knuckle/hub assembly part of the locking hub, part of the unit bearing, or different all together. I am trying to figure out what route I am going to go...Dynatrac free spin kit, Warn Premium hubs, or just replace some faulty parts. I will have it all apart to do the inner axle seals as soon as the wife gets home and I figure that I will just do it all at the same time, but I need to budget some money and acquire parts first. Thanks.
-Aaron

·
Registered
162 Posts
i would go with warn premium hubs and if you have never done the inner axle seals be careful because if you dont press them in first then they will leak. ask me how i know. but anyway good luck with the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done the inner axle seals on this style yet. Done the old style a few times. What do you mean by press them in first? Just seat them in the axle housing first, or is there something more I should know about?

I DO plan on going with Warn hubs, but trying to figure out if I will need more. Although after thinking about it, tonight I will spend 10 minutes and figure it out myself. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I will go pull the locking hub off and see if the axle shaft will turn freely. After that, I may or may not be back with more questions. Haha
-Aaron

·
Registered
162 Posts
when i said press i didnt mean using force sorry about the confusion. but if you put them in wrong they your fluid will be sitting on your driveway. the first time that mine were put in they leaked and came right back out with the axle. but to my knowledge they are the same as the old ones, not positive though.

Just a thought. after playing in the mud a lot in my 85 F-150 if i didnt repack the hubs regularly then i would get grinding in the front end. now the stock hubs on a psd cant be repacked but the warns you can repack, your problem may just be hubs full of mud.

·
Banned
71 Posts
!

This is fairly common on the super duties. The locking hub assemblies go bad and stay engaged. Pop the snap ring off the hub and pull/tap with a rubber malet to get them out. Then spin your wheels. Dont worry about inner axle seals on these, you have to pull the differential out to replace them, and if its not leaking out the end of the tube dont worry about them. As for bearings they are sealed in the hub and non serviceable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts