Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a load range E tire on my '03 6.0. The psi is 65 max. Why are some 80psi max for the same (different brand) Load Range E tire?

What is the benefit of a 65psi verses a 80psi LR E tire?

Is one better or more prefered then the other?

My tire size is LT305/70R16E.

Thanks

·
Supporting Vendor
1,305 Posts
This is a very technical question that is by no means easy to explain but I will try. In LT tires the max pressure of a tire is determined by its width and is set according to the Tire and Rim association standards. These standards require any LT tire that is 295 or narrower to have a max pressure of 80psi and any tire wider than that to be a max pressure of 65psi.

As a consumer, focus more on the tires load index and the tires width. These two factors will create the biggest differences in how a tire will feel and ride.

·
Registered
703 Posts
i agree, i got into it with a guy who had 265/70/17 load range E (10plys), he wanted to move up to a 285/70/17. he wanted a specific tire but it was only offered in a load range D (8 ply) so he wouldnt buy them, I explained to him many times, that a 265 10 ply had the EXACT SAME load rating as a 285 8 ply..he didnt get it...after a week of searching he finally called back and told me he wanted them because someone told him they had the same load rating:doh: tires are complicated!

hope this supports the load rating rather than Ply point..

on a personal note, I have 10plys on my truck but i only run 65psi in them, unless i got a good load on it theres no need for 80psi, rides rough, more tread sway, less footprint.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I own a tire shop...the bigger and wider the tire, the lower the max air pressure they say on them. My 33/1250r20s max are 65 but have a heavier tow load than 265s. Usually the bigger the tire, the bigger the tow load capacity but the lower the pressure. As you move even bigger like into the 40s they will be 8 ply tires but only call for 50 or so. But they have nearly double the load capacity.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for durability and tow preference - does it really make a difference - whether a 65psi or 80psi Load Range E tire?

Most tires I'm looking at are all 65psi LR- E tires with a minimum of 3525lbs/tire.

I guess my question is whether an 80psi tire would haul/tow better then a 65psi tire of the same capacity?

·
Registered
198 Posts
No, it doesn't really make that much of a difference. Its just up to customer preferences. Anybody and everybody has their own opinions, stories, and preferences. Some people ride around unloaded with 80 psi all around with a rough as hell ride. Some people, like me, ride around with 45 psi all around and only pump em up when towin and get a better, smoother ride. So basically, pick your price and your look you want and get the highest ply rated tire and it'll be ok. Its not gonna make a difference as long as you keep em balanced, rotated, and your truck in alignment. I guess the only thing that would majorly affect them would be running them flat or not enough pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts