Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to realize that im only about 10 mins up the road from Matts house (Gearhead Automotive) the closeness alone has a big decision on me wanting to run his tunes. I have heard nothing but good about him and his tunes as well.

My question is what are the benefits of Live Tuning vs. getting my chip made and sent to me in the mail? How much of a difference is there price wise? I'm really considering getting him to live tune my truck if there are alot of added benefits vs regular tunes being sent in the mail to me.

Thank you for any info you may have

·
Registered
796 Posts
i have custom (in the mail tunes) and i love them. however, if didnt live in BFE and had access to someone who could live tune, I WOULD run live tunes.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know any of the benefits to this over non live tuning

·
Registered
796 Posts
like i said, if you have a guy who can live tune handy or can do it yourself its the way to go. but custom tunes are awesome hands down. what sort of tuning do you have now?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I've come to realize that im only about 10 mins up the road from Matts house (Gearhead Automotive) the closeness alone has a big decision on me wanting to run his tunes. I have heard nothing but good about him and his tunes as well.

My question is what are the benefits of Live Tuning vs. getting my chip made and sent to me in the mail? How much of a difference is there price wise? I'm really considering getting him to live tune my truck if there are alot of added benefits vs regular tunes being sent in the mail to me.

Thank you for any info you may have
Well, I'm not sure how Matt handles the live tuning, however, that costs more from me than buying a chip. I will discount the price of the chip of you don't have one already, but live tuning costs.

That said, if your only 10 minutes, and you have the mods to justify it, get live tuned.

·
Registered
796 Posts
have you gotten my chip tony? it supposed to be there at noon, garanteed.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
like i said, if you have a guy who can live tune handy or can do it yourself its the way to go. but custom tunes are awesome hands down. what sort of tuning do you have now?
Right now im running a "mileage" chip from Bullydog. No real performance gains but my mpg's have jumped up considerably.

Well, I'm not sure how Matt handles the live tuning, however, that costs more from me than buying a chip. I will discount the price of the chip of you don't have one already, but live tuning costs.

That said, if your only 10 minutes, and you have the mods to justify it, get live tuned.
How much more do you charge to do live tuning? I know Matts policy may be completly different but im tryig to get a ballpark idea of costs. Is it even worth it to get live tuning for a "stock" truck like mine?

Im really just looking for differences between live and in the mail

·
Registered
497 Posts

I agree with Tony. Live Tuning is the way to go if u can afford it. I will be getting live tuned next year.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Live tuning can cost up to about 500 for the session.(That includes getting the tuner to your place....Plane fare, hotel ect) You get the tuner for as long as it takes for your complete satisfaction, all the programs the chip holds and any update tech stuff. The best way to do it is to host the event, try to get 5-10 guys to commit. This way your tuning is free for organizing the whole event and bringing additional business to the tuner

·
Registered
557 Posts
Live tunning I would say because no two trucks are alike no matter how much people think that they are. If I took my 7.3l and say i got a custom tunner with Edge and my buddy has the exact same year truck and maybe even the truck that was made right after mine and he runs it its possible that it doesn't perform as well in mine as it does his. Custom tunes are made around YOUR truck not off of one test truck or sample truck. So Go Live tune it Cant wait to get my 6 position chip and some Live tunes!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
You won't regret live tuning, no matter what mod level you're at. For driveability alone it'll work wonders.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
have you gotten my chip tony? it supposed to be there at noon, garanteed.
No, how did you send it? If it was express mail that required a signature, then its at the post office, I will have my wife get it Monday and will burn it when I get back. Sorry

·
Registered
796 Posts
pwrstrokethis is right, even though he wishes his truck looked just like mine. hahaha, your pretty handly with the paintshop. haha

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Thuggy, he is 10 minutes from Matt, and assuming Matt does live tuning, then he shouldn't need to host anything.

That said, you don't change anything different on the tuning, the parameters that are changed are changed to make YOUR truck react better to the things being changed. The timing your truck will run best at isn't the timing your neighbors truck will run best at, just the nature of the beast, things vary from truck to truck. Your truck might need a tad longer pulsewidth than the next or vice versa, tranny settings are different too, its the whole package that changes, can I dial a truck in sending a chip back and forth thru the mail? Sure, but not as good as being plugged into it and certainly not as quickly, or accurately.

Just call Matt and tell him you want some tuning and go from there.

·
Registered
796 Posts
hey tony ill be in ft worth around christmas for a couple days. will you be available to live tune my truck?

·
Registered
796 Posts
No, how did you send it? If it was express mail that required a signature, then its at the post office, I will have my wife get it Monday and will burn it when I get back. Sorry
its no problem, as stated before i need it back before the 19!!! thanks a bunch tony.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts