Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has live tuned a stage 1 to really dial it in. Seeing that it helped Nate with his stage 3, I was curious about this.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Just curious if anyone has live tuned a stage 1 to really dial it in. Seeing that it helped Nate with his stage 3, I was curious about this.
Hasn't been done yet to my knowledge.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Live tuning needs to be done in order to get the most out of it.
Well no chit. He wasn't asking that, he was asking if anyone has had their Stage 1 live tuned yet.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Haha chris!! I'd like to get mine live tuned IF IT EVER COMES IN, I always have the worste luck with things like this, I am gonna forget how to put back on my fenderwell if this waiting time persists

On another note, I hope Adrian gets to feeling better soon, like real soon, like within the hour.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Haha chris!! I'd like to get mine live tuned IF IT EVER COMES IN, I always have the worste luck with things like this, I am gonna forget how to put back on my fenderwell if this waiting time persists

On another note, I hope Adrian gets to feeling better soon, like real soon, like within the hour.
Oh wow, you still haven't gotten your turbo in? I spoke with Adrian last week and he was still on bedrest. Hopefully he'll get to feeling better soon. You'll get your turbo, no worries there. :thumb:

Alex, do you have a MTW Stage 1? If so, who are you thinking about having it live tuned by? (if you're thinking about getting it live tuned)

Robbie, when you get yours in - we could get it lived tuned by Bill. We'll talk about that later though, I don't want to muck up the thread too much. Good thread though - I'd like to see what these turbos are capable of. I'm hopeful that they'll be able to get darn close to 500rwhp on stock fuel, fuel only.

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Well no chit. He wasn't asking that, he was asking if anyone has had their Stage 1 live tuned yet.

Plenty of people running Stage 1s were expecting to drop it in a hit 500. THAT didn't happen either.......If you know what's going on you know it needs live tuning. Even Adrian admitted to that fact.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh wow, you still haven't gotten your turbo in? I spoke with Adrian last week and he was still on bedrest. Hopefully he'll get to feeling better soon. You'll get your turbo, no worries there. :thumb:

Alex, do you have a MTW Stage 1? If so, who are you thinking about having it live tuned by? (if you're thinking about getting it live tuned)

Robbie, when you get yours in - we could get it lived tuned by Bill. We'll talk about that later though, I don't want to muck up the thread too much. Good thread though - I'd like to see what these turbos are capable of. I'm hopeful that they'll be able to get darn close to 500rwhp on stock fuel, fuel only.
I do have one, its a modded pmax but the same thing. I don't have any land to live tune it. I would like to, but I think TSD is the closest place I know of-and I'm in California.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I do have one, its a modded pmax but the same thing. I don't have any land to live tune it. I would like to, but I think TSD is the closest place I know of-and I'm in California.
not to derail to much but how much better(if any) is your powermaxx after you got it back from mtw?

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Plenty of people running Stage 1s were expecting to drop it in a hit 500. THAT didn't happen either.......
What I know, is that I'm one of the only people who dynoed their truck with a Stage 1 (and actually to my knowledge, I am the only one who's provided dyno numbers on a Stage 1) - so your 475rwhp figure comes from me. We were hopeful that it would hit 500rwhp, being only a drop-in turbo (no live tuning, no "special" tuning, etc).

My dyno number (473) was hit after dynoing my truck 4 times beforehand, and then immediately dynoing it with Bill's Herc 100 FICM tune. Bill said himself, if I'd have let my truck cool down - I probably would've gotten an extra 8rwhp out of it. So... that puts me at 483 (respectively). That's 17rwhp away from 500, on a drop in turbo, on Matt's SRL+ tune - written for a stock turbo.

Pretty. Damn. Close.

These turbos will get close to 500rwhp with live tuning on stock fuel. I considered my truck to be close to 500rwhp when I had the Stage 1. The Stage 1 is an awesome turbo, I'm excited to see what it can do for people with 155s.

If you know what's going on you know it needs live tuning. Even Adrian admitted to that fact
Believe me buddy, I know what's going on with these turbos. You know why? Because I bought two. A Stage 1 and now a Stage 2. Instead of just reading our findings and picking things apart that we post, why don't you actually buy one and help us figure out how to help the 6.0 crowd break back into the diesel competitions? We didn't expect the MTW turbos to outperform the powermaxs in every performance curve, but they do. They don't require custom tuning, but if you want performance to reach maximum performance potential - then yes, you need custom tunes (preferably live tuning).

But that's not what this thread is about. Again, Alex is asking if anyone has had their truck lived tuned that's running a Stage 1. He obviously knows that these turbos will need live tuning to get the maximum performance gains, as do most of us at this point.

I gotcha... well - being all the way out there away from everyone sucks. Sorry man, looks like you'll have to make special accomodations for getting live tuned by someone.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I know, is that I'm one of the only people who dynoed their truck with a Stage 1 (and actually to my knowledge, I am the only one who's provided dyno numbers on a Stage 1) - so your 475rwhp figure comes from me. We were hopeful that it would hit 500rwhp, being only a drop-in turbo (no live tuning, no "special" tuning, etc).

My dyno number (473) was hit after dynoing my truck 4 times beforehand, and then immediately dynoing it with Bill's Herc 100 FICM tune. Bill said himself, if I'd have let my truck cool down - I probably would've gotten an extra 8rwhp out of it. So... that puts me at 483 (respectively). That's 17rwhp away from 500, on a drop in turbo, on Matt's SRL+ tune - written for a stock turbo.

Pretty. Damn. Close.

These turbos will get close to 500rwhp with live tuning on stock fuel. I considered my truck to be close to 500rwhp when I had the Stage 1. The Stage 1 is an awesome turbo, I'm excited to see what it can do for people with 155s.

Believe me buddy, I know what's going on with these turbos. You know why? Because I bought two. A Stage 1 and now a Stage 2. Instead of just reading our findings and picking things apart that we post, why don't you actually buy one and help us figure out how to help the 6.0 crowd break back into the diesel competitions? We didn't expect the MTW turbos to outperform the powermaxs in every performance curve, but they do. They don't require custom tuning, but if you want performance to reach maximum performance potential - then yes, you need custom tunes (preferably live tuning).

But that's not what this thread is about. Again, Alex is asking if anyone has had their truck lived tuned that's running a Stage 1. He obviously knows that these turbos will need live tuning to get the maximum performance gains, as do most of us at this point.

I gotcha... well - being all the way out there away from everyone sucks. Sorry man, looks like you'll have to make special accomodations for getting live tuned by someone.
Ya eventually I would like to go bigger, so I'm not trying too spend a lot on out getting live tuned, just curious if anyone had. it would be nice if some of these tuners could get one just to live tune and send back to adrian so they have a better idea.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not to derail to much but how much better(if any) is your powermaxx after you got it back from mtw?
Hard to day right now. I can tell it moves more air than stock. That I'm sure of. I think most tuners had the pmax figured out when I got mine so it worked good. my best 0-60 with the pmax was 4.5 sec, whether it's truly accurate I don't know but it's still a baseline. Did just one the other day with the stage 1 and only got 5.4 sec, but I didn't build much boost prior to takeoff. Right now my SPD version 2 is better than version 1 and my wildmans

·
Registered
226 Posts

Pretty. Damn. Close.

I gotcha... well - being all the way out there away from everyone sucks. Sorry man, looks like you'll have to make special accommodations for getting live tuned by someone.
This statement needs to be copied into all the MTW turbo threads, I bet there would be half the chatter and a lot less BS and more information. Everyone is waiting for numbers that they to see instead of getting them for themselves.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
The stage 1 is a mild upgrade turbo and what additional you would get out of a live tune over a e-mail tune isn't worth the cost of live tuning. You might see 15-20 hp max for $300-$500.

The stage 3 is a whole different animal.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The stage 1 is a mild upgrade turbo and what additional you would get out of a live tune over a e-mail tune isn't worth the cost of live tuning. You might see 15-20 hp max for $300-$500.

The stage 3 is a whole different animal.
True and for me it's not so much the hp I'm worried about gaining it's making it run cooler in the highway and up grades.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
The only thing I have to say about live tuning is that it will work for that truck only that is being live tune. There are so many stag. codes out there, reflashes, and than all the other differances between trucks that one live tune is not going to helpout everone. The one thing live tuning will help is the tuner, get to know how the turbo runs to help make tweeking better.From what I have heard Chris at TSD as been working with Matt and has gotten some nice tunes for the stage 1, and hybrid, through tail and error. It's special tunes that are tweeked that he and Matt work on, so once he gets it down Matt will release the info, and than work with Viavan, and then Eric and [email protected] gearheads. Just takes sometime but if I didn't have a guy like Matt jump in and work hard at it, it would take alot more time than it has. He has helped me so much that I may have to send him a new turbo stage 2 with billet fully tweeked and a set of injectors for the help. If I make a mistake and send out a fully tweeked stage 3 with injectors, oops oh well.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
This statement needs to be copied into all the MTW turbo threads, I bet there would be half the chatter and a lot less BS and more information. Everyone is waiting for numbers that they to see instead of getting them for themselves.
Holy Crap! You mean some people want to know exactly how well something works before they go and spend their hard earned cash on it??? Those cheapskates!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Holy Crap! You mean some people want to know exactly how well something works before they go and spend their hard earned cash on it??? Those cheapskates!
So you condone other members demanding information? Hell two guys wives are ready to have babies (if they haven't had them yet) and we have members badgering them to drive with a tow tune, take it to the dyno, run it at the track etc...If you want some numbers so bad buy a turbo and test if for yourself. If people are willing to spend $20k+ on the truck with known issues (hello 6.0L engine owners) then why not spend a measly $1200-$1500 on a turbo and try it blindly? Makes since to me huh???

Eric

1 - 20 of 33 Posts