Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a list of the available remote oil cooler builds from businesses or do-it-yourself'ers? would like to look at all the options. first hand would be great of course. replaced my cooler for a stock one less than 6 months ago and already back to 30* deltas from time to time. most of the time its leass than 10* apart. id say 90% of the time its fine. not sure what to do but i know i dont have the time to keep swapping coolers.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Bulletproof Diesel kit is best complete kit to adress the issue.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Bulletproof Diesel - complete air to oil replacement of stock oil cooler. Works great and eliminates any possibility of ruptured oil cooler cross contaminating the oil and coolant.

IPR - makes a remote mount kit for the oem oil cooler or their high flow oil cooler that relocates the stock oil cooler to outside of the engine and places a coolant filter directly before the oil cooler. Seems to work well and less expensive than BPD. Still relies on the oem stock oil cooler.

Liberator Diesel - make a mickey mouse external air to oil cooler that is cheaper than the Bulletproof Diesel unit in every way. I would not recommend this to anyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wht about innovatives? thats another company one i saw, ill lit some more options i found later.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
wht about innovatives? thats another company one i saw, ill lit some more options i found later.
Exact same design as the Liberator kit. Not worth it.

BulletProof Diesel kit HANDS DOWN! I have been running it for over 2 years now and I have completely eliminated the cooler issues of the factory unit that took out 4 EGR coolers in the first 100k miles. :doh: Even towing here in the Arizona desert with a 12k pound toy hauler, it is able to do its job well and I never have to worry about it rupturing another cooler! :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone heard of Cape Fear Diesel? They are selling some kits on EBAY but they are not very forth coming on details. It looks like a filter relocation kit with an oil cooler added to it. Can't tell for sure. A little leary to spend the money if I can't get good details.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Has anyone heard of Cape Fear Diesel? They are selling some kits on EBAY but they are not very forth coming on details. It looks like a filter relocation kit with an oil cooler added to it. Can't tell for sure. A little leary to spend the money if I can't get good details.
This is the first I heard of them, had to google it. IMO, those hoses look way too small for the oil flow demand that is needed for our motors.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280955662081&index=0&nav=WATCHING&nid=46587992593

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I can tell from first hand experience in trying to build my own oil cooling system and then finally just giving up and getting the BPD kit that the ONLY other system (this one is NOT included in this) out there that I would run would be the IPR kit.

There is WAY more to it than just pulling out the factory oil cooler, relocating it with an air to oil cooler, and fabing up some adapter for a spin on filter. Right now there is NOT a dual pass cooler that is small enough to be mount behind the grill and still flow enough oil to keep up with the demand of the 6.0 oil pump. I know people scoff at the $2200 price tag of the BPD kit, and my answer is to just not get it and just keep replacing the stock coolers as they plug. Either way, it still doesn't mean that the BPD kit is not the highest quality kit you can buy and that NO corners were cut when they made this.

JMO of course but I would ONLY recommend either the BPD kit OR the IPR kit. STAY AWAY from places like what you found on Ebay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys. I like the BPD kit because of it's craftsmanship but I like the IPR because of the 100% coolant filtering. My only concern with BPD is cold weather. Does the thermostat add-on for the cooler fix the cool weather problems?

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Yes. And taking an opposing view, I don't like the IPR kit because of the 100% filtering. If the filter clogs, its the same as having a clogged oil cooler. Almost any product that involves the movement of a fluid critical to operations will fail in the open position so fluid movement isn't restricted. That's why most of the other coolant filters on the market use a bypass design.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Yea both kits definitely have their pluses and minuses. I know guys talk about the coolant being needed to warm the oil but in all honesty, I have seen only a nominal increase in the time it takes for the oil to warm up with the thermostat in place. The bottom line for me is that the BPD kit is VERY simple and is overly built so it WILL hold up. It is (for all intents and purposes) bulletproof and works ALL the time in ALL conditions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts