Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got tips or a link for doing a oil change (first time).

Saved over 50 bucks without having the dealer do it. Got 15w40 oil MotorCraft and a filter with both fuel filters for 155.69. Dealer was asking 208.00 to do it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Really easy to do. Warm the truck up a bit. Get under the truck with a 5 gallon bucket and your wrench, let it drain. Wipe the bolt clean, threads and magnet on the bottom. Put the plug back in and you don't have to really kill it. I just go until Its finger tight and take the wrench and give it a little. (next morning I check to make sure it isn't dripping, if it is I give it one more little tighten)

Open the hood, use a 36mm socket on the oil filter housing. Throw away old filter and old o ring. Replace o ring, dip your finger in some oil and lube up the o ring. Pop filter cartridge into the lid and tighten it down again. This also doesn't have to be over tightened.

Last fill it with oil, I can't remember if the 6.4 is 14.5 quarts?

The fuel filters aren't hard to do either, the only one that will give you grief is the frame mounted one. It has a thick loom of wires running right in front of the lid which kinda makes it a pain. But a 36mm socket with a swivel should get the job done fairly easy. Drain the water separator on the frame mounted filter until it stops flowing, this will help prevent your diesel bath hahaha,

****after replacing both fuel filters, turn the key on for 30 seconds Atleast 6 times, no less!!!! Before starting it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Take off the oil filter+housing before draining or while draining, if you don't you will dump old oil back into your oil pan if you put the bolt on before opening the housing.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
When your draining the water separator to change the frame mounted fuel filter, crack open the under hood filter cap. This will allow the fuel in the line to the engine bay to drain out the water separator drain. If you do this, you will be lucky to get a drop of diesel on you.

When doing oil change I always let the oil drain while I'm changing the filter. Allows that last half quart to slowly drain out. Also I wasn't able to get a 5 gallon bucket under my rig so I drive it up on ramps first, also get a bucket with a lid that way you wont slop any oil as you try to wrestle it out from under the truck.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the tips. It took me longer to get the coppet washer off the bolt then to do the hole change.

And the frame filter sucks big time. I see found out that the dealer at one time snap off the little yellow lever to drain the fuel

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey Clayton---do you think you could post a pic of the EZ valve on your truck? How far down does it extend? My fear is it will be scraped off somehow and never know until I'm SOL...could be me worrying too much:dunno::dunno: I do that a lot with my truck! LOL

Not trying to hijack thread either. IF you want, you can email me a pic so the thread doesn't get jacked, but it might be good for others to see as well.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yeah man, Ill check now for a pic and if no luck Ill grab one tomorrow and post up.

It is handy for sure, between it and the cartridge style filters we have its a no mess job now!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Completely forgot about pic of valve. Ill get it tomorrow, promise!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Drain the water separator on the frame mounted filter until it stops flowing...
I did mine this weekend...oil change was 15 minutes, fuel filters was maybe 30min. because the frame mounted one.

Anyway, I drained my fuel-water separator, but it never quit...filled two quart jars and it showed no signs of stopping (an no water). So I shut it off and just took the filter out. I had less that 1/2 tank of fuel and the fuel cap was closed.

Does this sound OK, or should it have stopped somehow? Truck runs fine afterward, and no leaks anywhere

Thanks,

MT

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I did mine this weekend...oil change was 15 minutes, fuel filters was maybe 30min. because the frame mounted one.

Anyway, I drained my fuel-water separator, but it never quit...filled two quart jars and it showed no signs of stopping (an no water). So I shut it off and just took the filter out. I had less that 1/2 tank of fuel and the fuel cap was closed.

Does this sound OK, or should it have stopped somehow? Truck runs fine afterward, and no leaks anywhere

Thanks,

MT
they hold a good amount of fuel. i wouldn't be worried.

i would be more concerned if it wasn't flowing at all...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts