Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might be a wierd question but has anyone ever heard of painting the valve covers with lineX to quiet down some of the noise and could the oil pan also benefit from this also?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Sounds kinda silly, y not just dampen thr firewall, is it in cab noise your ttying to get rid of

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on doing that first im just being curious

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Ahh, but is it in cab rattle you looking to loose

·
Registered
272 Posts
7.3's are noisey stock and with Cold Air and Exhaust mods they don't get any quieter as you probably know from your mods list, but it's a different sound from the sound of Rocks in a Tin Can. Wife can always tell when I pull in the drive way. Let us know if you go the Line X route.

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Im reversing my noisy mods like my stack and put a full 5" system with a high quality resonated muffler and I'm going to do the door seal mod with the tubing and re insulate the firewall I guess and the doors too as much as I can not looking for coffin 6' under the ground quiet but deffinately want to block out some engine and road noise. I just have gotten past the point of trying to impress ppl with the sound of my truck and doing what is good for my hearing lol please don't think I didn't enjoy ever second that I had that stack with a sh!t eating grin on my face but the full exhaust and muffler actually flows better than the stack made the truck quicker from a stop and 50X quieter I'm sure .

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I wouldn't LineX would even sound dampen at all. Pretty thin stuff.

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be a pretty good insulator though I have only had a bed lineX'd before but I've seen whole jeeps and vans and super duties bodies lineX'd it must make some kind of difference

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
They aren't lined for sound, it's for looks. Had a friend who did it.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Id say give it a shot man.... maby try the spay can stuff first on a junk set of valve covers and see what happens. Put a few coats on to build it up.

The reason sound deadner is effective is that a piece of sheet metal actually transmits sound while it vibrates and pulses just like a speaker. In an extreme way it does the same thing as a glass of water on top of a speaker. So anything that will absorb those vibrations will be an effective sound deadner. Ive heard of people using line-x, rhino, speedliner, extreeme liner....... any polyurthane coating as a sound deadner with great results and great protection.

And the statement that line-x in thin is false, it can be sprayed as thick as you want. Its just the application that makes it thin. Can be sprayed 1/2 thick if u want. That stuff mixes in the nozzles when spayed and dries in 60 seconds after mixed. And can be sprayed over again.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Others have done it and posted their results on other forums. The results have been good. I am gonna do it someday soon, too.

Rusty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts