Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it’s taken me a while to put this info up. Not that it’s really important or anything new. I just wanted to share my experience with this swap.
First off, shout out to Sunline Fan on FTE which had a fantastic write up on this swap, however, his was swapped into and ’02 Excursion. But because of the similarities in these platforms, I felt pretty sure I would be able to swap it into my ’05 F250 without an issue.
Since he has a much more detailed write-up, I will just share my own photos and a couple things that came up during my swap that differed.
If you want to see more on his swap, you can follow the link here…

The First Blackwood Steering Wheel Install - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I highly recommend, if this is something your interested in doing, do it soon! There was already a very limited run on the Lincoln Blackwood and so finding them in the salvage yards is near impossible. Prices may vary. I wouldn’t pay over $150 but that’s me. I ended up getting mine for $60 including shipping which was great.
A couple important things to note about this swap:
  • The wood grain color on the wheel is not an exact match to the wood grain on the dash or the door panels. It’s close, but more of a dark wood (hence the name, Blackwood) and honestly, I don’t think it looks bad at all, but just be aware it's not an exact match.
  • Also, I did notice a weight difference in the wheel. I didn’t weigh them, but the Blackwood wheel was lighter than my original. The lighter weight might make it feel slightly different when driving. For me, I noticed it when first driving and got used to the steering feel after a few days of using it. It feels completely normal now.
  • The airbag will need to be swapped to keep the Ford logo. Most salvage yards won't ship an airbag regardless so you can use this point to your advantage when pricing maybe.

Step 1: Make sure you’re parked on a flat surface and the steering wheel is centered correctly with wheels straight.
Step 2: Disconnect battery (to avoid airbag deployment)
Step 3: Remove the steering wheel.
  • Use a micro flat head screwdriver, pop off 2 caps behind steering wheel (1 on each side) to access the torx screws for airbag. Gently lift off airbag and disconnect the electrical connectors (one is for the airbag and horn, the other is for the combo switches). Gently set airbag off to the side.
  • Loosen center bolt for steering wheel. Depending on the puller you have, you may have some difficulty with getting the puller to work properly. I used a couple different types before I found one that worked. (you can rent them from any auto parts store).
  • Once the wheel is loose from the shaft, feed the harness through the wheel as you pull off the wheel.

Step 4: Inspect and swap wire harness. Mine required swapping the electrical connector (03-04 models may not require swapping). The airbag connector was the same.
  • Make sure you make note of the routing and where the zip ties were.
  • Be gentle with the connectors on the back of the combo switches.

Notice the black connector on the stock wheel versus the white connector on the Blackwood wheel...

Step 5: After swapping the harness, I wasn’t certain if the combo switches from the Blackwood wheel would work so I decided to swap them as well. Now looking back, I found that even though they had different part numbers, they would have still worked. To do this, You have to apply a good amount of pressure to the back of the combo switch until they pop out. You will likely cause the back covers to crack (like mine did) but it should be ok.

Step 6: After the wheel is fully assembled, you're ready to reinstall in the reverse order. I notice the steering wheel shaft seemed to have a notch that allowed it only to go on a certain way, however, if you started with the wheel straight, then putting it on straight should go right on with no issue. Be sure to feed the harness through the wheel as you put it back on. Tighten center torx screw. While holding airbag, reattach the electrical connectors. Reinstall torx screws for airbag, pop the plastic access covers back on. Reconnect battery, turn on key and test combo switches.

Finished Product

After all is said and done, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed the premium feel of this wheel. Plus, I tend to grip the wheel pretty good, so not having to worry about it wearing out over time is huge plus.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What is the difference in a SD wheel and blackwood wheel, besides the wood? My SD has the same switches, is that what caused the wiring issue (swapping harnesses)?

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the difference in a SD wheel and blackwood wheel, besides the wood? My SD has the same switches, is that what caused the wiring issue (swapping harnesses)?
Only other notable difference is the weight of the wheel. The SD wheel felt heavier.

I swapped switches only because I wasn't sure if it would matter or not. When I got them out, I noticed different part numbers on the back of the switches. But, as it turns out, it didn't make any difference. The other ones would work the same. But the vehicle harness that connects to the wheel used a different style connector so this was the reason I had to swap the steering wheel harness. the connector to the airbag and the back of the switches are the same connector.

·
Administrator
21,910 Posts
The feel of wood in your hands.
What is the difference in a SD wheel and blackwood wheel
Who doesnt love the feel of wood in your hands?

Nice work OP, thank you for taking the time to share.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Looks just like the Navigator wheel I have in my '04 just with extra buttons
Very nice, love mine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
796 Posts
Very nice, love mine

The Navigator also has the wood wheel, but the wood grain and color is closer to the Lariat laminate. I like the blackwood wheel better though

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice, love mine

The Navigator wheel is also the other option and it really comes down to color choice. The Navigator wheel was offered in grey and tan and the wood color is lighter.

I think if you have a 03-04 SD with the tan colored or grey color interior, then the Navigator wheel is the better choice. On the 05-07 SD, most Lariat and XLT trim SD's came with a black wheel. This is the reason the Blackwood wheel IMO is the better option for those.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
The feel of wood in your hands.

Who doesnt love the feel of wood in your hands?

Evidently, my ex wife

Nice work OP, thank you for taking the time to share.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
1 - 8 of 8 Posts