Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a ton of upgrades and repairs recently. That's always an easy way to make lots of errors at once mind you, but oh well. I was in there. Lucky me, there are no trouble codes.
Truck surges a bit mid throttle. It seems to go away once warm. Whuua whuuua Whuua whuuua Whuua whuuua Whuua whuuua kinda sound.

I'm wondering if it's IPR or ICP related.
My manifold vacuum hose that shows turbo pressure on the dash was a tight fit and might have some cracks in it. Maybe this?

It's oddly hard to capture the sound but it's obvious when you are in the truck. In the video, you only hear it for a few seconds since I ran outta road.

Recent changes being.
Fully rebuilt and rewired wiring harness.
HPOP
EGR delete
New oli cooler
New EGR valve. (I left it plugged in as the internet seems to think that's the best solution).
Water pump
anitfreeze filter
bluespring
Lot's of gaskets
new vanes in the turbo

I suppose it can be anything from me putting the turbo back together wrong, to a single wire being reconnected or fixed incorrectly. I'm just hoping this sounds familiar to somebody who had a similar issue.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I don’t hear a surge.

If that was a WOT, I will get at least 20 PSI 0 to 75 MPH going from a stop onto the freeway, and usually 24-26 PSI. You got around 15 PSI, which may have been caused by the MAP hose. Those are fairly cheap. I just bough 2’ of same gauge hose from the parts store for less than $10. I can’t remember if you can get away with 1 foot or not. The VGT seemed fine, didn’t get close to 15 or 85. The fuel at 6.5 MPG seeems low, but could be any number of reasons for that. Towing 11k mine drops to 10 MPG, but is normally at 15 MPG. To get actual mileage, I still calculate by hand.

What is fuel and why is it stuck around 15 PSI? I would expect fuel pressure to be no less than 45 PSI and to fluctuate slightly. Also, what is the intake? Seems to be Baro + MAP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback @ChrisSki. I was definitely not at WOT. Mid throttle is where this seems to happen. The sound is at exactly 10 seconds in and in the case of the video only lasts a few more seconds. Whuua whuuua Whuua whuuua Whuua whuuua!

My MPG is horrible and next on my list of weird crap I have to figure out. This truck has never gotten more than 6-9 mpg since I bought it. Good question in regards to the fuel and 14.5 psi. It does seem locked into that. I recently deleted my Torque dashboard on accident and rebuilt this one quickly. I'll pop into it today to see exactly what that value is. I can't imagine it's fuel pressure, I should be seeing 60 psi with the blue spring. 15 is borderline catastrophic. Good eye.

A new MAP hose is on its way as well.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
I hear the sound -- don't see the gauges fluctuating tho, but may be that Torque(or ODB) is too slow to show that -- could try to log some of the parameters to see if the fluctuation shows there

That fuel reading -- not sure what that is -- there is no fuel pressure available thru the OBD for these trucks
Will need a gauge on the fuel bowl test port to see fuel pressure -- m11 threads

20psi is pretty easy to hit just going out my driveway -- seems like as much as you were accelerating it should have been there
but if there is a bad MAP hose that may be the problem

Poke a wire thru the nipple on the manifold to see if it is open, when you replace the MAP hose

The MAP and 'intake' gauge should run with each other -- I see they are about 14psi difference

Are those the Torque standard(Ford specific) PiDs or are they custom?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 04 f250 ps and I'm having issues with hard starts and surging after about 5 to 10 seconds after it starts. It will start almost like loping in a gas burner chugging. Then it clears up, ive changed fuel filters, oil filters, pulled the egr valve and cleaned it, ran fuel treat ments through it. No luck getting worse now. It shuts off while driving started off just going around turns at slow speeds, now it will shut off after applying the brakes, need help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I found out about the fuel pressure when scanning for the PID. (yep, just using the Ford PIDs, not custom ones.) I'll gab a fuel pressure gauge soon. many signs are pointing to that MAP hose just being cracked and maybe leaky. I'll swap it out and let you know how things shake out.

I just bought a 04 f250 ps and I'm having issues with hard starts and surging after about 5 to 10 seconds after it starts. It will start almost like loping in a gas burner chugging. Then it clears up, ive changed fuel filters, oil filters, pulled the egr valve and cleaned it, ran fuel treat ments through it. No luck getting worse now. It shuts off while driving started off just going around turns at slow speeds, now it will shut off after applying the brakes, need help.
You might want to make your own thread?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I popped on a bright red replacement MAP hose and the issue seems to be not as bad. It's still there, but noticeably less. I also took the opportunity while under the hood to just take my EGR valve totally out and cap it off. For testing purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
You have to use a plug for the EGR that plugs the exhaust to intake port -- is that what you used?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My EGR is removed with a new straight intake pipe. I was referring to the EGR valve block off plate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dropped in some AR9100 and Hot Shot's Secret and added a tuner. I think between the new hose and the additives one of those things fixed my issue because it's not doing it at all anymore

I just wanted to followup in case anybody else had similar issues someday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts