Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 inch lift on my truck. To gain the lift in the rear I went with blocks obviously b/c they were cheaper than leaf packs. the block I got from superlift were not wedge shaped like the factory block and when I called them up they said that flat like I had was better than wedge shaped. I just got one bigger block I believe 5" so I could replace my factory block and not have to stack them. Is this goin to cause me trouble with my drive shaft angles and wear my pinion in the long run?

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
It won't hurt the pinion, just give you vibration and decreased life of your U joints
The basic theroy is if you have U joints at both ends of the DS you want the angles almost equal..under load, this usually requires 1-2* lower pinion angle at rest.
If you have a CV at the trans you want the pinion pointed at the CV under load..same 2* lower at rest+-.

Now if you have a Carrier bearing it gets lowered when you raise the rear.

It can drive you nuts finding the correct combination..sometimes flat blocks work sometimes angled..when useing carrier bearing shims.

Sometimes nothing seems to work perfect!

Read this ..Driveline 101

Cary

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
It won't hurt the pinion, just give you vibration and decreased life of your U joints
The basic theroy is if you have U joints at both ends of the DS you want the angles almost equal..under load, this usually requires 1-2* lower pinion angle at rest.
If you have a CV at the trans you want the pinion pointed at the CV under load..same 2* lower at rest+-.

Now if you have a Carrier bearing it gets lowered when you raise the rear.

It can drive you nuts finding the correct combination..sometimes flat blocks work sometimes angled..when useing carrier bearing shims.

Sometimes nothing seems to work perfect!

Read this ..Driveline 101

Cary

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
blocks are :supergay:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
blocks are :supergay:
Your truck came from the factory with BLOCKS....if FORD thinks they are ok then I would say they are fine....course...I would not run a 12" block...:thumb:

·
Registered
269 Posts
you'll also find that the larger your blocks get, the more extreme axle wrap you'll get too - which really sucks and is hell on your rear u-joint.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Your truck came from the factory with BLOCKS....if FORD thinks they are ok then I would say they are fine....course...I would not run a 12" block...:thumb:
Im running the factory 2 inch block stacked with a 3 inch block. and yes their still. :supergay:

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
Im running the factory 2 inch block stacked with a 3 inch block. and yes their still. :supergay:
If they are so gay, why don't you change them? It's not like your running around town with a Rainbow sticker on your back window is it.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
If they are so gay, why don't you change them? It's not like your running around town with a Rainbow sticker on your back window is it.

I had every intention of upgrading to full springs when I had the money.
but I choose to keep food on the table for my 8 month old boy than to buy a $600 dollar set of springs. :doh:

but I still dont like blocks. :D

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I know, I know I am just picking. But I did hear that Isuzu dosen't have blocks, plus think of the fuel savings.:hehe:
definately! them things gota weigh at least 5lbs. probly good for annother .000001 second off your quarter mile times too. :lol:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah obviously if money werent an issue i'd have springs instead of blocks too

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I dont mind mine that bad. cept I hate the axle wrap.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Hey guys, I got a question about lifting my truck. I've got an 04 F-350 Dbl Cab FX4. I want to lift it but don’t want it to be too high. Now I know that's going to be personal preference. Here's my question… I want to go 4in..., maybe. If I do and I want the truck to sit level, should I go with a 4in in the front and like a 2in in the back? Oh and I've kind of looked around but not a whole lot and it looked like I might have to have something called a trac bar spacer (I think) for something on the front end. Is this true? Or can I just get a set of blocks and some longer u bolts and be ready to go? Any info on this would be great. I plan on doing this my self so really..... Any info will be helpful. Thanks...

·
Banned
733 Posts
Blocks are great till you hit a few bumps that cause your blocks to unstack and suddenly you are five miles from pavement, without the tools to put them back and no way to jack up and restack the blocks.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
yes...they work...but it's 50/50

either you can buy brand new springs for the same price....or you will still have BIG blocks,..but you'll have traction bars now too.

preference....that's all......I saved my money,...got the right size springs,..and traction bars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts