Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been lookin at 4" lifts and was gonna go with a 4.5" hanger icon lift but have heard from my local 4wheels parts store that they have not had good luck with hanger systems? He didnt specify a brand. So then he suggested a procomp lift. Why is this so much cheaper than a 4" icon lift? He can do the lift installed with an alignment for like $1400. I know I can do the lift myself but since it is not that much more for them to do it plus a warranty and alignment, I think that is pretty good?

Anyways what are your guys input on a good 4" lift?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
well, if im not mistaken, 4wheelparts doesnt sell Icon systems, but they do sell procomp. I would go with the Icon, i think 4wheel just wants your money...correct me if im wrong, but Icon is much better than Procomp and it shows in the cost.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see i would believe that too BUT my brother in-law knows the guy? So I dont think he is tryin to get my money.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I think the 4wheel parts guy is trying to sell you the procomp to get your money because he can't get Icon products. I bet if he could get Icon products he'd be selling you that. My dads truck has the 3.5 Donahoe (same as Icon) hanger system for 6 years now and hasn't had 1 issue.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think the 4wheel parts guy is trying to sell you the procomp to get your money because he can't get Icon products. I bet if he could get Icon products he'd be selling you that. My dads truck has the 3.5 Donahoe (same as Icon) hanger system for 6 years now and hasn't had 1 issue.
yup. go with the icon. 4wheelparts guys arent all that great IMHO. Ive walked out of that store during a purchase more than once because they were just A$$holes. Cause im young they assume i know nothing :dunno: :doh:
I avoid giving them my money

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Yep, Pro Comp is their house brand so that's what they push.

We've never had any issues with the Icon 4.5" systems. Very popular systems with 99-04 guys.
Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2000-2004 FSD 4.5 inch Hanger System - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store

If you want to get rid of the stock springs and not do a hanger ans shackle, Icon does have a 4" spring system:
Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2000-2004 FSD 4 inch Suspension System - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store

For comparison....Pro Comp vs. Icon:

And you can't beat Icon's lifetime warranty.

Or for something inbetween Icon and Pro Comp in terms of quality.....BDS:
BDS 4 Inch Suspension System - 2000-2004 F250/350 4wd - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks for the comparison DC!! there is a pretty big difference in quality just by lookin at it! I think I willgo with Icon but undecided about hanger or suspension?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also is it worth upgrading to the resivour shocks vs the regular ones? Does it really give you that much of a better ride?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the 3.5" hangers from fabtech on mine and they are pretty good. easy to install and built well.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Wow thanks for the comparison DC!! there is a pretty big difference in quality just by lookin at it! I think I willgo with Icon but undecided about hanger or suspension?
The 4.5" hanger and shackle will give you the best ride quality as there is no increase in spring rate.

If you beat the snot out of the truck off road the stock springs may sag over time so the 4" leaf spring system is preferred as it will handle the abuse better than the stock leaf springs.

Also is it worth upgrading to the resivour shocks vs the regular ones? Does it really give you that much of a better ride?

Ride quality is the same. Main benefit of reservoir shocks is the increased oil capacity to allow the shock to run cooler during hard use.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok well I dont go off roadin alot so looks like a hanger lift is good for me :) Thanks for all the help DC

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the ride difference between the suspension and hanger totally different or just a little? I am thinkin of just goin with the suspension over the hanger but is the ride alot worse?

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
A hanger lift will retain the same ride quality. Even the best riding springs..Icon's will not ride as good as the stock fronts. Icon 5" rears ride better than stock.

Cary

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A hanger lift will retain the same ride quality. Even the best riding springs..Icon's will not ride as good as the stock fronts. Icon 5" rears ride better than stock.

Cary
I know it wont ride the same but is it horrible? I mean like riding on really stiff suspension?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Not stiff by any means.

I run the Icon 4" fronts and Icon 4.5" hanger and shackle for a 8.5" lift on my 01. Even with dual shocks people comment that it rides very well for a truck of its size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts