Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do? I'm on the fence between leveling my truck out or doing a 4.5" Rough Country lift. Tires and wheels would be 18s and 35s. If ya got pictures that'd be great too. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I run 4.5" with 295/65/20's. That's 35.5". I think the balance is good.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
this is 4in lift with 35s and 20s

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you want a ride that will beat your guts out, get a rough country lift. Save the money for the 4.5" and get an ICON 2.5" levelling kit for around 1G. Budday just installed one on his 05 and DAMN, she rides sooooo nice now. Handles like a completely different truck, and offroad it is a great improvement over stock, front flex is WAY better.

·
Registered
282 Posts
IMO 35's are perfect with a leveling kit and too small for a 4" lift or better.

·
Registered
306 Posts
On my truck my 35's actually rub with a 4" lift. I have heard of people going bigger, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be very practical if you ever drove it off of a flat surface.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard everyone saying that Rough Country stuff rides hard but I'm not too picky about that. I just don't want a junk lift. Money isn't at a premium so if I do lift it'll be the Rough Country. Thanks for the responses guys!

·
Registered
827 Posts
leveled... 35's... cheap and clean :thumb:

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you want a ride that will beat your guts out, get a rough country lift. Save the money for the 4.5" and get an ICON 2.5" levelling kit for around 1G. Budday just installed one on his 05 and DAMN, she rides sooooo nice now. Handles like a completely different truck, and offroad it is a great improvement over stock, front flex is WAY better.
Yep, I had a rough country 4.5 in my Dodge and it rode like a shopping cart :crazy:

I have a 2.5 RCD now but if I'd do it again I think I'd go 4.5 and a kit like the Icon. My RCD kit is good too, real nice ride. My $.02

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know I'm probably beating a dead horse, but doesn't the leveling kit cause you some headlight problems when you're towing? That's the only reason I don't want to do the leveling kit...

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I know I'm probably beating a dead horse, but doesn't the leveling kit cause you some headlight problems when you're towing? That's the only reason I don't want to do the leveling kit...
Headlights are adjustable up/down left/right.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Headlights are adjustable up/down left/right.
Yeah... I know. If you adjust the headlights so that are "right" for driving without a load, aren't they pointing at the sky when you have a trailer behind you? The same thing happens to a truck without the kit, but the effect isn't as bad because the rear end sits higher so the front end doesn't move as much when you put the load on.

I'm just asking... I think the trucks look amazing with no more than a leveling kit.

Or are you suggesting I adjust the headlights every time I hook/unhook to a trailer? :hehe:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a 2.5" spacer lift from Top Gun Customz with bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around and 35s on the stock 17" wheel and am very pleased with the ride and the look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Yeah... I know. If you adjust the headlights so that are "right" for driving without a load, aren't they pointing at the sky when you have a trailer behind you? The same thing happens to a truck without the kit, but the effect isn't as bad because the rear end sits higher so the front end doesn't move as much when you put the load on.
I just don't think the difference in light pointing would change between stock & level. I mean no matter how high or low the front end sits; if a load on the rear of a stock truck changes the headlights pointing angle 15* I don't think it'll suddenly change 20* because the front sits 2"s higer.

MasterOfTheHat said:
I'm just asking... I think the trucks look amazing with no more than a leveling kit.
Agreed, bought mine with a leveling kit already on it, the 285s (33"s) honestly look small. Though since I'm leaf sprung I'm not sure if 35s would rub the springs........Though now that I've typed that it sounds kinda stupid, it's not like guys change the spring spacing with 38"s or bigger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
go leveled with 35'' i have a rough country leveling and it rides very well. no rub with the tires either

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Probably need to take into account 250 vs. 350....The 250 sits about 2 inches lower in the first place right? So a 4" lifted 250 would probably be equal to a leveled 350 it's 4" front/2" rear to level while lifting.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My 250 sits 2" lower in the front and rear than my buddy's '04 350. I know the difference in the rear is a 2" thicker block and the front is higher if the plow package is installed. His truck has the plow package and mine does not. I have yet to find a 350 that does not have a plow package to compare heights.

Doesn't the payload have something to do with how high the truck sits?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts