Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im thinking of getting a leveling kit for my truck something like 2.5" in the front and maybe a 1" block in the back. Nothing huge just enough that i can get bigger tires on it. Im thinking something cheap, ive seen leveling kits in ebay that are just a rear replacement hanger on the front axle. Question is, how bad would that screw up the front end (pinion angle, trackbar, shocks etc.) any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
As long is the shackle isnt more than 3 inches longer than factory you will be fine. I have had a set like the ones on ebay on for a year without problems.

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
UH huh. Thats next on the list for me. as far as the shackles I got a set off eaby and I didn't get 2.5 inches. I got an inch. My 315s rub like crazy

·
Registered
74 Posts
What about blocking the front end?
That would be cheap!
We block the rear leafs.......why not the front leafs?
I've got it in my head not to do it, but I've searched the forum over and over to find something "bad" that was said about using blocks on the front end.
I think the original u-bolts would still fit too!.

I don't want to send bad ideas so maybe run it by the guys here first. Anyone have any thoughts?

:icon_ford::thumb:

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
do not block the steer axle. and especially do not reuse the factory U bolts. Ubolts are cheap to get new anyway. If you do decide to block the front axle at least weld the blocks to it

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
no no no you dont want to block the front end its not safe..

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Get a mini spring pack or a real hanger lift, either way you will need to get a adj. track bar as a 2" lift will push the frt Axel over 1/2-3/4"

The rear won't need any lift to run 35"

Cary

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for setting that straight guys.(regarding the using blocks comment)
Somewhere deep inside this melon I thought there was a reason not too, but couldn't find any other comments to confirm. I must have read that it's not a good idea somewhere.

with that said, what makes it unsafe? We do block the rear leafs and don't weld those correct. Is it the simply the weight and movement?

Sorry for kind of Hyjacking the thread, but it's great information to those who are looking at leveling kits. I was told by a performance shop to use the blocks in the front end. That was a while ago, nonetheless...........Not good!
Thanks again for clearing that up for everyone.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a mini spring pack or a real hanger lift, either way you will need to get a adj. track bar as a 2" lift will push the frt Axel over 1/2-3/4"

The rear won't need any lift to run 35"

Cary
hadnt planned on blocking it but what would be the differance between blocks and mini spring packs? So if I put anything on the front end I should get a brop bracket for the track bar

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
the track bar bracket isnt really necessary for a leveling kit

·
Registered
746 Posts
what about adding leafs to the front? will that raise it like a leveling kit or not? or just having the front springs recurved. my front springs are almost flat and a little arc in them would bring the front end up right?

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
Yes it would I can't remember who on here did it but he had his rearched and a spring added and got about 3.5 inches.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I ran a 3" with the stock track bar with no problems for almost a year. The front axle shifted about 1/2 an inch, but I've seen stock trucks worse off than that before. Still handled and drove fine. As for the add-a-leaf, you can get one from rough country on ebay for $75. I don't notice any difference in ride quality, and it's a cheap/safe/easy way to clear bigger tires.

Another note on rear blocks, if you only want to add an inch. The stock u-bolts are long enough to add an inch and still have some thread exposed. As for re-using u-bolts, I've worked in several mechanic shops, one transmission and axle shop for a few years. I never heard of replacing u-bolts after a diff swap in all that time. I also never saw anything come back with broken u-bolts. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for the add-a-leaf, you can get one from rough country on ebay for $75. I don't notice any difference in ride quality, and it's a cheap/safe/easy way to clear bigger tires.

QUOTE]

Really? You didnt notice a difference in the ride? Thats partly why I wasnt all about the add a leaf, i didnt want my truck riding like a brick. You must have done more than the leaf to get 3", didnt you?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The add a leaf was on a different truck. Hopefully this weekend I will be installing a set on my truck in conjunction with the 3" shackles and hangers for a total of 5". Maybe then these 315/75's will stop rubbing the inner fender so bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts