Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now I've got the Big Hoss bundle installed, & it seems I want more HP. Is there anything else I can do without having to go the ugrade turbo route and/or getting into engine internals? Also, as budget DOES NOT allow, I can't get into propane or nitrous(yet). What's next? Would a cold-air intake significantly increase horse compared to the Banks/K&N air filter? Does a pulley kit exsist for the '99.5-'03 7.3? What else can I do!?!? Going back to the whole 'upgrade turbo route', what I mean is I don't want to replace the turbo completely, BUT; I would consider component upgrades. I already have the Banks Compressor Wheel & Big Head wga. Are there upgrades for the turbine wheel or impeller shaft? I know Banks offers the Quick Turbo turbine housing. I'm hankerin' for more power!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
are you using the banks PDA or tuner at all, if so dump it and get the SCT for real power...

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Loose the bank programmer and get a custom tw chip or dp tuner or even a ts 6 position chip. Banks is conservitive when it comes to power out put.

I would keep everything else from them just run custom tunes from someone. That will give you the more power you want.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
are you using the banks PDA or tuner at all, if so dump it and get the SCT for real power...
I think SCT is for the 6.0, hes got a 7.3

For a 7.3 go with DP tuner or Tony Wildman chip. Dump the banks computer stuff. Id keep the other banks stuff though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i ran the banks compressor wheel/bangs big head/quick turbo, and found the combination unbelievable. Great out of the hole power and super reliable. I am running and industrial injection set up now, as my original turbo was blown up by a thief. i wish the industrial turbo was as responsive as my old set up.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well! It all seems to break down to what we're running for programmers & chips. Now, I've taken everyone's advice into strong consideration, & believe me, if getting a new programmer/chip is the key, I'm all for it. But just out of curiosity, is there a tuner I can plug into the OBDII that would work even with the Banks electronics? After getting the rig, the Banks stuff, a couple of other goodies for the truck, & the astronomical cost for the amount of fuel I burn lead-footing around town has made my budget tight for the time being. It doesn't take me long to generate scratch, but in the meantime, I've gotta be conservative for the next month or so. I'm figuring starting off with getting a tuner if possible. And I will definitely look into other chips & programmers in the very near future! :thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Well! It all seems to break down to what we're running for programmers & chips. Now, I've taken everyone's advice into strong consideration, & believe me, if getting a new programmer/chip is the key, I'm all for it. But just out of curiosity, is there a tuner I can plug into the OBDII that would work even with the Banks electronics? After getting the rig, the Banks stuff, a couple of other goodies for the truck, & the astronomical cost for the amount of fuel I burn lead-footing around town has made my budget tight for the time being. It doesn't take me long to generate scratch, but in the meantime, I've gotta be conservative for the next month or so. I'm figuring starting off with getting a tuner if possible. And I will definitely look into other chips & programmers in the very near future! :thumb:
Trucks with the 7.3L can not stack tuners, programmers, or chips. You can only run one thing at a time.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,057 Posts
Get a Custom Tuned chip,

Custom as in tell your choice of tuner all the banks grabbage you have and they can tune your chip for it.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's it, huh? The Banks elecs. gotta go! I'm really interested in the Tony Wildman chip. Can anyone give me more info on it, as far as any experience using it or know someone who's used it? I've probably heard the least about it, out of all the other chips & programmers. But the little I have heard about it sounded pretty interesting.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Tony wildman is one of the best 7.3 tuners there is. Buy a chip from him, if you want to change some things later in the tunes, you send it back and he reburns what you want for free. DP tuner is another great tuner, but you pay a premium to get his special tunes. He charges if you want to reburn later.

Tony Wildman - 6 Position Chip

Stealth Automotive. Tony Wildman Chip

Descriptions of the tunes you can get from Tony:
* These programs are custom built specifically to your truck and modifications.
* Economy is designed to increase your fuel mileage.
* Daily is a slightly more powerful version of the economy program that adjusts shift points for driving around town.
* Tow is going to be approximately 50hp increase for the 94-97 models and 65ish for 99-03 models.
* Heavy tow will have shift points adjusted and an increase in power over the regular tow program.
* Street Race is for those pesky imports with the coffee can exhausts.
* Extreme is for the track.
* Sled pull will have shift parameters adjusted to allow the truck to be in drive and not shift out of 2nd gear
* Hi Idle is for them cold days to keep the truck warm and the hot days to keep the truck cool.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Trucks with the 7.3L can not stack tuners, programmers, or chips. You can only run one thing at a time.
I hate to say it.. have said it before guess I will say it again... yes you can stack them.... I did on my truck and you can tell a little difference not a huge gain by any means but it did make a difference espically in smoke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts