Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well she lasted 245,000 miles. Taking my son to school this morning I noticed the temp guage rising and the the CHECK GUAGE light came on. :doh: Pulled in to Advanced Auto and left the truck running, looked under the hood degas bottle was low. Cut the truck off and she started dumping water from the pump. :dunno:

I remembered a story a friend told me about when he was out in Texas headed back to NC when his pump blew. Said as long as he kept the truck running it would barely leak and when he shut it off it would dump the water. He drove it all the way back like that and topping off the water when he stopped to fuel up.

So I stuck the water hose in it, started her up and topped off the water then made it home and she ran fine. :scuffy Got home and there was a small drip but as soon as I shut it off she started dumping water. I can't complain though, 245K is not bad (I guess). Now its time to replace it. I have a few questions:

1. Is it better to go bullet proof or OEM pump?
2. Difficulty level 1 -10?
3. Is it worth it (physically and emotionally) to have a diesel shop do it?
4. Has anyone had good success with bullet proof pumps?
5. Doing it my self how many hours am I looking at?
6. While I have it torn down what else should I do while I'm in there?

Any help, advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Id go with the Bulletproof pump unless you want to do it again

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I am leaning towards but I would like to know if anyone out there has put a large number of miles on a bullet proof pump. Like I mentioned I got 245K out of my stock one.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I've put over 10k miles on my BulletProof water pump and that's towing my 12k lb toy hauler up some decent grades. It's definitely up to the task.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Thats good to hear. Did you replace it or have someone else replace it? If so how long did it take you or what is an average price from a diesel shop so I know I am not getting ripped off?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Thanks! Thats good to hear. Did you replace it or have someone else replace it? If so how long did it take you or what is an average price from a diesel shop so I know I am not getting ripped off?
Bulletproof replaced it for me and it took them about an hour! :thumb: I would expect that it might take a different shop about the same or a bit more than that to get it done, so between shop supplies (coolant, towels, hazmat disposal, etc) and labor, you are probably talking about $300, plus the cost of the water pump. I'm just guessing, so I would hope that someone who does this for a living will chime in.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Their is no doubt that the BPD water pump should out last a OEM w/p but with a truck that has 245,000 miles on it do you reeley think your gonna get your money diffrence back? $345/$125 ( OK now I know that their is a few of you out their thats gonna go a million miles plus hauling lead blocks over the ice roads in JULY and need to get ready for that, not talking to you rubber duck. I know u need it. ) But for the average guy is it worth it? Plz make up my mind on this cause Im on the fence over it myself...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Their is no doubt that the BPD water pump should out last a OEM w/p but with a truck that has 245,000 miles on it do you reeley think your gonna get your money diffrence back? $345/$125 ( OK now I know that their is a few of you out their thats gonna go a million miles plus hauling lead blocks over the ice roads in JULY and need to get ready for that, not talking to you rubber duck. I know u need it. ) But for the average guy is it worth it? Plz make up my mind on this cause Im on the fence over it myself...
245k on the OEM, it's a no-brainer for me. Just sayin.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I believe that Rich (lilpooh) had one fail and I'm struggling to find his thread on it. I thought it was a short timeframe after having been replaced, but I could be mistaken on that. I know he's running a BPD water pump now...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Trick for waterpump removal

I am only going to address the removal process. It may seem like extra effort but will actualy save time ; effort; hide and whats left of your religion.

If you do not mind bending over and working over the front end for a few hours you only need to remove the top plastic air dam the crossmember and the radiator. This will give clearence to get the clutch fan and pump out without damageing the radiator. The radiator can be slid forward against the cac and be lifted straight up if your strong enough, its kinda bulky.

Time wise not counting draining time and a fan nut that doesn't want to break loose a complete novie can do it in a couple of hours. The clutchfan nut is the wooleybugger of the operation.

Myself being short of stature, portley and old I like to remove the grill just a few bolts, then I remove the condensor core [there is enough line slack to just let it fold out of the way and hangout over the bumper] this way you don't have to drain the freon, the cac [four bolts] and the radiator [four bolts] this then leaves me a nice big open hole to work thru while sitting on my roller stool. Also makes it easier to get the belt off and the clutch fan without fighting the shroud [stator].

Now that fan clutch! Most parts houses can rent you the special wrenches to remove the clutch, you put up a deposit equal to the price of the wrench and get it back when you return the wrenches. Be shure they give you the wrenches that fit the 6.0 diesel. There are three basic sets. One set is just 2 wrenches sized to the truck/application [cheapest] a universal fits all set with several size wrenches [the back up wrench uses a ratchet or breaker bar for the handle] then the crem de la crem; the air wrench uses your pistol grip air chiesel for power.[mucho exspensive] not all parts houses will rent this tho. If your gonna do your own work a lot invest in the 2 wrench set at least. Be dbl shure it is the set for the 6.0 Ford diesel some of them clerks don't know the difference, read the package carefully before turning loose your money. If ya have the scratch buy the air one but not off the tool truck
shop around a bit. Pst harborfreight has one pretty reasonable.

This is turning into a novel sorry about that.
[note] the fan nut is right hand thread. In a pinch the pulley has 4 holes in it, a big phillips screwwdriver and a pipe wrench can be used or an 18in. cresent.
A 4lb.hammer works well for smacking the fan nut wrench.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Wow you guys is on the job this morning. I need to copy and save my post takes so long to wrie it up each time LOL

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ORG is a great place and the guys (and a few gals) always jump in and offer up help! It's saved me thousands!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I am ordering my Bullet Proof Diesel water pump tomorrow. From what I have read I am looking at 3 - 4 hours of wrenching. Anyone have any pictures of water pump replacement? Will I need anything other than the water pump and gasket? If so where can I buy it? Last but not least, Is there anything else I should change out while I'm in there?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Here's a link below to Rich's write up.

LINK

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the link Evil Eye!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be doing the swap this afternoon! I have a buddy who is a diesel mechanic and says we are going to do it without removing the radiator. I will try and take some photos and post them.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my BPD Water Pump in. We were moving so fast I only took a few pictures. It took about an hour and a half. Here is what I did after disconecting the negative battery terminals;

1. Drained radiator
2. Removed upper radiator hose and small degas bottle hose
3. Removed plastic cover over grill
4. Removed radiator mounts
5. Removed fan shroud
6. Removed clutch fan
7. Removed water pump pully
8. Removed water pump.

I reasembaled in reverse order and she fired right up and running great!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Nice, so how did the old one look?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
wheres the pics

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Old one was SHOT! I took the picks on my phone and trying to forward them to my email so I can post them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts