Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm gonna close this out with the following information that it appears some here just don't get:

1) I don't like, and I don't use, Dealers for repairs, period! Not ever.

2) I'm 70 years old, and tired of climbing under trucks to conduct repeated repairs.

3) I've owned a number of GREAT vehicles in my life that did not suffer from these kinds of faulty designs.

4) I have the financial means that allow me to make changes, if necessary, to avoid these kinds of lemons.

5) We'll see what happens over the next 2-years. I'll be 72 going on 73 at that point, and I'll be even more obstinate! 馃槒

END OF STORY.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Here! I'll tell you what I REALLY think . . . I think the EPA and CARB (the California Air Resources Board), have effectively 'assassinated' the diesel-powered automotive industry. That's what I truly think. And I think this DEF incident could be just the tip of the iceberg, the early beginning to numerous troubles that may lie ahead of me with this particular vehicle, and, that it might be prudent of me to just move it now, before those other problems start to roll in.

Hell, my wife has a 2007 Honda CR-V with 212,000 miles on it, and other than a battery, front struts and sway bar ends, it hasn't required a single thing in 14-years. My eldest grandson is driving a 2001 Ford Ranger that has been in the family since it was first purchased in 2001, and it's been absolutely trouble-free it's entire life!

I'll say it again . . . I think the consumer line of diesel trucks has been effectively doomed by these liberal brats that run the EPA to the point where it's a losing proposition, period! Yes, I'll replace this defective DEF heater, and yes, I'll wait to see what happens with the replacement, but I'm not gonna fear or pamper the damned thing by avoiding it's use in winter, or by garaging it all the time. In fact, I may purposefully challenge this new heater, by leaving it out in the cold, just to see what the future holds, and if it fails again, then I'll know, and I won't much care what others might feel about it at that point. It'll be GONE in a matter of days!

Good luck to all! 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Here's the original DEF heater. Clean as a proverbial whistle! No visible cracks, no salt crystals, no film or residues, no dirt or particulates of any kind, bottom filter is open and clear of obstructions, but it reads a resistance of 3.7 ohms. Gone! New one (OEM) reads 1.9 ohms.

Tank was about 1/3 full and the fluid looks exactly the same as above, crystal clear, no salt crystals, no film or residues, no particulates. Immaculate.

Inferior or inherently defective Czech part?? Extreme temps?? No idea! You decide! But kindly refrain from calling people with legitimate concerns "trolls". Save that stuff for Montessori.

20210722_130233.jpg
20210722_130216.jpg
20210722_130157.jpg

20210722_131800.jpg

Registered
"I think there is a very strong likelihood that the DEF heater would have survived the extreme temps perfectly fine, even when and if fully frozen, as long as the truck hadn't been operated."

This line of reasoning is just plain wrong, I'm sorry. There are probably millions of these trucks that run in sub 10f weather for months on end and they aren't all burning through DEF heaters. I'm not doubting that there could be an issue with DEF heaters in general or that you've experienced said issue(s) but thinking the way you described above is just illogical on its face.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
. . . There are probably millions of these trucks that run in sub 10f weather for months on end and they aren't all burning through DEF heaters. I'm not doubting that there could be an issue with DEF heaters in general or that you've experienced said issue(s) but thinking the way you described above is just illogical on its face.
I cannot disagree with this, because I too am aware of (and been somewhat perplexed by), the sheer fact that thousands of similarly equipped SuperDuty's, aren't having their DEF heaters fail left and right. I totally get that, but nevertheless, I do believe there is ample evidence to support the contention that Ford's DEF heater is in-fact a faulty design.

And although I have no firm evidence to offer, I strongly suspect that the number of failures of this part, nationwide, since 2011 (or whenever?), is much-much greater than we know from the few reports here on this isolated forum.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts