Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
When I first joined, I admit that I got the rush, the tunnel vision, trying to be the first one to the station. Sometimes I did actually manage to get there, first, but most of the time, for the first 6-8 months I'd get bumped of the first and usually second trucks out. Seniority of course. Another nice thing about being the first to the station was the old steam whistle, first there got to pull the latch and set that off:thumb::woot:.
Going back to the tunnel vision, I did receive a couple reprimands by my Lt. And one of my chiefs about going fast to the station, but I'll tell ya, loosing traction on a corner in one of our trucks is pretty scary, I learned to slow down.
Nowadays, my response times are a bit slower, mainly because I've just slowed down, but also because we moved our station, I always had a red light at the base of my street, but now have to make a left:doh:. So most of the time I just turn off my lights and wait; if it is a hot call, I will proceed right through the light when clear of course then blow a u turn in a lot and head to the station.

I absolutely would never blow through a red. I have seen other guys do it, Ive even seen an officer honk at somebody in a crosswalk. I got yelled at by my deputy chief once, because I went by a crosswalk where someone was waiting to cross the road, but was still on the sidewalk. One of the officers witnessed that and then proceeded to go around me and then blow through two reds.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have a Whelen Slim-Miser on my dash. Red/red. We can run Red and White on our POVs here in NC. Most people pull over, I had one tonight that just decided my light was too bright and she flipped her rear view mirror so it wouldn't blind her. Law also says people don't have to pull over for POVs even if the light is on.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Yup, same here. It is considered a"courtesy light". Thing that surprises me, is when you have a truck with lights and sirens, and 10X the weight bearing down on a little compact, people just dont move.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
People dont move for my reds/blues/sirens. Its an idiocy thing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Man it's tough to get a picture of all of them on! There is a white strobe on my PS that didn't show up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts
I have yet to come across a town such as you describe. The more lights you have on my department, the lower your iq lol. There are people with lights worth more than their cars for reasons I cannot possibly fathom. A kid on my old department with a cop car was nailed doing 70 MPH in a 40 on the way to a fire alarm. Not only did the chief (a cop) go in dry, I'm almost certain he used baby power first...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have 4 front, 6 rear (4 once I get the cap and take the rack off), and that's probably all I will need. Enough to be seen, but not too many that you look like a fool :senile:

Don't get me started on guys buying up old police cars with the windshield spotlights still on it...

30MPH over the limit for an alarms call, that's a good one! :taze:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have 4 front, 6 rear (4 once I get the cap and take the rack off), and that's probably all I will need. Enough to be seen, but not too many that you look like a fool :senile:

Don't get me started on guys buying up old police cars with the windshield spotlights still on it...

30MPH over the limit for an alarms call, that's a good one! :taze:
I want to put my hideaways in but can't bring myself to drill into this truck it's too nice. I'm trying to figure out an alternative so that I have lights facing rearward in case I pull over on the highway or what not.
And yeah that guy lost his use of lights for almost a year lol.

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts
I want to put my hideaways in but can't bring myself to drill into this truck it's too nice. I'm trying to figure out an alternative so that I have lights facing rearward in case I pull over on the highway or what not.
And yeah that guy lost his use of lights for almost a year lol.

Never a good feeling drilling into a new truck, but if you're keeping it for awhile, I think you should. Just take your time, plan it out and make it CLEAN:thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
You could get some of those LED strobes, they're smaller than regular strobes.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I actually do have the LEDs. I'm thinking about buying a hollow lens to mount them in. Might have to put my back rack on this truck.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
That's a great idea, I made use of my back rack, put a traffic advisor on it.
You could always get a set of those Atomic LEDs.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That's a great idea, I made use of my back rack, put a traffic advisor on it.
You could always get a set of those Atomic LEDs.
Please don't be a bad influence on me to put on those things lol. I wish I had clearance lights.
Here's what I came across:
Whelen Vertex LED Chrome Surface Mount Flange VTXFC | eBay

I'm thinking that they will mount great through a piece of stainless steel to mount onto the backrack. Since I had 4 I could probably set 2 of them on a steady burn switch as bed lights. I need a second job for all this crap haha:doh:

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Yeah thats the thing that sucks about modding these trucks, either a second job, kids college fund, or second mortgage on the house will take care of your money worries:D.

Those do look good, but at $15 I wonder how well they are made. I forgot you didn't have the cab lights already, thats a headache having to cut into the roof to mount them.

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts
Please don't be a bad influence on me to put on those things lol. I wish I had clearance lights.
Here's what I came across:
Whelen Vertex LED Chrome Surface Mount Flange VTXFC | eBay

I'm thinking that they will mount great through a piece of stainless steel to mount onto the Cab rack. Since I had 4 I could probably set 2 of them on a steady burn switch as bed lights. I need a second job for all this crap haha:doh:
Yeah thats the thing that sucks about modding these trucks, either a second job, kids college fund, or second mortgage on the house will take care of your money worries:D.

Those do look good, but at $15 I wonder how well they are made. I forgot you didn't have the cab lights already, thats a headache having to cut into the roof to mount them.
Haha, money's always the limit for truck mods!
Also guys, that ebay listing is for the flange only...the actual Vertex LED runs about 70$ PER light head. Expensive, but you get the Whelen quality, that's for sure.
I run these (green) in my park light housing, and they are crazy bright. Nice flash patterns too: Nova W600 Hide-A-LED

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
My Whelen Slim-Miser moves traffic even in bright daylight and its the only thing I have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
I have two of the slim ones mounted to the top of the windshield on my truck, they do work great, but at night and in heavy rain they make it hard to see. Wish I had something behind the grille.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Even my avengers are tough at night. I have a slim lighter in my car that's bright as hell. And I only paid $60 apiece for my hide aways. My buddy hooked me up

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have two of the slim ones mounted to the top of the windshield on my truck, they do work great, but at night and in heavy rain they make it hard to see. Wish I had something behind the grille.
Mine sits on the dash in the middle of the windshield. I have zero flashback

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1,627 Posts

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
You have no clue
I was on the beltway outside of DC the other NIGHT and with light traffic, NOBODY would move for what seemed like forever :mad: (probably about a good 45 seconds to a minute) I was blocked in from lane 1 all the way over AND my car has excessive lights/strobes/wig-wags to use in conjunction with my siren. Guess what happened when they finally noticed I was there? ...I'm sure you guessed: Everybody slowed and almost stopped before they cleared a path. MD/DC/VA drivers are the worst.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts