21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
jakes grille lights.jpg image.jpg
I installed these a few months back in my buddies truck. Its amazing I've upfitted over 300 police, fire and ems vehicles thru the years and I never seem to take pics of my own vehicle.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Too all Volunteer FFs/EMTs, and other people who have your trucks decked out in emergency lights. Show em off.

im a volunteer FF from nj

Here is a vid
4 Whelen LIN3 in the grills
SpeedTechLights Quad Pro on the lower windshield
Whelen Dual Avenger on the top windshield
Galls Wigwag boz
More lights going on the sides and rear of the toolbox soon.
and a siren :woot:
RHFD what's the RH stand for? I'm up North in Mahwah, Co. 2
How did you mount your LIN3s in your grill? I just picked up some Linz 6s and am trying to figure out how to mount mine.

Right now I'm only running 2 dual avengers on the dash with the old cigarette plugs. Haven't hard wired on my new baby yet. Hoping to have those 2, the 4 Linz 6s and Hide-aways in the corners all in by the time I'm done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In Minnesota we are not alowed to have lights on out personal vehicles unless authorized by the transportation director and fire chief. They never authorize this becuase they say it, "causes accidents." :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
In Minnesota we are not alowed to have lights on out personal vehicles unless authorized by the transportation director and fire chief. They never authorize this becuase they say it, "causes accidents." :shrug:
That does suck, but I can understand it. Back in 2011 in Dec, we got a quick snowstorm, dumped 3-6 inches in a couple hours, I had someone in front of me do a 180* right into oncoming traffic and caused an accident, minor damage, but I put on my red's and strobes on my side to slow traffic down, On the opposite side about 500 feet up the hill from me, an elderly man in a van stopped completely, probably thought it was worse than it was, however somebody else Slammed into him from behind, moved the van 100feet. I immediately moved up there and called for rescue and police, I just felt bad, because I inadvertently caused the accident. the roads were covered but still believe if my lights werent on, possibly that guy would still be alright.

So, ya, Red's or Blue's or even Green's on POV's can cause accidents.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Lets see some pics

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts
Here's a couple vids of my setup.

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ahhh that's better. Lookin good bud. Anything on the rear?
Thanks! Yours too, I've never seen green before lol. I have nothing facing rear, have clear hide-aways but can't bring myself to drill into the tail light housings. Maybe I'll make something for them. The front lights are in the grill with washers and grommets, this is a drill-free truck haha

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Both your setups are great. I too was curious about the green though, EMT, in the states that is what EMTs use.

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts
Both your setups are great. I too was curious about the green though, EMT, in the states that is what EMTs use.
Thanks; in the province of Ontario, all volunteer firefighters can use front facing green lights. The public should yield the right-of-way to these vehicles, but ~30% of the time (in my case anyway) they do not. There's not quite enough awareness about them. That's one of the reasons I have the rear flashers...to look a bit more "official" when I pass a car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
People around here seem to know to pull over, a lot of people have train horns if they don't. If I were in Ontario I'd think I were getting pulled over by the Lucky Charms police lol.
By law in NJ we're technically only allowed to have up to 2 blue only lights that are supposed to be mounted in the center of the roof..... clearly we stretch the boundaries between the myriad of lights that are clear AND blue, plus rear facing reds haha Since they're only used in our respective towns there aren't really any issues about them.

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
Washington State only allows Volunteer Firefighters to use green on their POVs as well.

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts
People around here seem to know to pull over, a lot of people have train horns if they don't. If I were in Ontario I'd think I were getting pulled over by the Lucky Charms police lol.
By law in NJ we're technically only allowed to have up to 2 blue only lights that are supposed to be mounted in the center of the roof..... clearly we stretch the boundaries between the myriad of lights that are clear AND blue, plus rear facing reds haha Since they're only used in our respective towns there aren't really any issues about them.
Lucky Charms police, haha!
I don't think there's anything wrong with having any color rear-facing flashers. It warns people from afar, and it's not like you can use rear lights to "impersonate" a police, EMS or Fire vehicle. But everyone has their different laws..

Let's get some more clips on here!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Lucky Charms police, haha!
I don't think there's anything wrong with having any color rear-facing flashers. It warns people from afar, and it's not like you can use rear lights to "impersonate" a police, EMS or Fire vehicle. But everyone has their different laws..

Let's get some more clips on here!
I think it would be nice to have rear flashers in my tail lights again in case I end up on the side of a highway changing a flat or whatever. People would move over a lane. It's just nice having lights in all 4 points. I love the traffic advisor style lights for a back rack, they come in handy when plowing in the winter

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Honestly I don't think it matters what color your lights are or how many you have, there is always those people that don't care, and won't move. I will say though that strobes in the four corners do help. I still have used my train horns a couple of times, mainly on a blind corner in my town with an underpass, people like to cut the corner, and when you hit the horns and they look to see what's coming at them, they quickly correct themselves.:D

One thing I don't like doing, but has been happening frequently lately, I start responding and then halfway to the station, it gets cancelled, and you have to turn off your lights, kinda makes you look bad to everyone that just pulled over or stopped for you to go round. No one else has a scanner or radio, so they don't know that the call was cancelled, they just see some A$$hole that just wanted to get through traffic (it's happened a few times on my way home from work, get to the edge of town, tones go off, flip on the lights and go, get halfway or more, gets cancelled, just beat 5-10 mins of traffic:thumb:.)

James.

·
Once you go black......
2,514 Posts
Honestly I don't think it matters what color your lights are or how many you have, there is always those people that don't care, and won't move. I will say though that strobes in the four corners do help. I still have used my train horns a couple of times, mainly on a blind corner in my town with an underpass, people like to cut the corner, and when you hit the horns and they look to see what's coming at them, they quickly correct themselves.:D

One thing I don't like doing, but has been happening frequently lately, I start responding and then halfway to the station, it gets cancelled, and you have to turn off your lights, kinda makes you look bad to everyone that just pulled over or stopped for you to go round. No one else has a scanner or radio, so they don't know that the call was cancelled, they just see some A$$hole that just wanted to get through traffic (it's happened a few times on my way home from work, get to the edge of town, tones go off, flip on the lights and go, get halfway or more, gets cancelled, just beat 5-10 mins of traffic:thumb:.)

James.
Haha, no way I could get away with that here. Someone would probably call me in, and volunteers would be forever banned of having response lights. Ottawa is so backwards it's sad.
I like the small towns in the US where they put whatever lights they want on their personal rigs, and everyone has respect for what they do. I'm talking full on red and white light bars and sirens. That's how you do it...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Haha, no way I could get away with that here. Someone would probably call me in, and volunteers would be forever banned of having response lights. Ottawa is so backwards it's sad.
I like the small towns in the US where they put whatever lights they want on their personal rigs, and everyone has respect for what they do. I'm talking full on red and white light bars and sirens. That's how you do it...
I have yet to come across a town such as you describe. The more lights you have on my department, the lower your iq lol. There are people with lights worth more than their cars for reasons I cannot possibly fathom. A kid on my old department with a cop car was nailed doing 70 MPH in a 40 on the way to a fire alarm. Not only did the chief (a cop) go in dry, I'm almost certain he used baby power first...

21 - 40 of 63 Posts