Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some lessons learned from my job of replacing the DEF heater and pump in my F-350 that I thought I would share with you all. This is the reference video I used:

LESSONS LEARNED

1. You can do this entire job on a floor creeper - garage lift is not required.
2. Try and do the work in a warm environment (minimum 45-65°F/10°C) and wash prior underneath the area to remove dust and dirt from the top of the DEF tank.
3. Wear clean nitrile gloves so you don't get grime/dirt into the tank when replacing the heater.
4. All the main bolts are 13mm and the three for the DEF line is 5.5mm. You'll need to remove the side shield first, as there is a bolt on the DEF tank covered by it. I also recommend using a ratchet (and you'll need a 8" extension) so that if a bolt is stuck, you don't end up stripping/breaking off the bolt with an impact drill.
5. DEF fill hose - take a picture to see how it's threaded through so that when you thread it back in, you don't bend and put a crimp in the hose or air line.
6. In the video above, a BIG BIG BIG miss is the length of the DEF fuel line. There isn't a lot of slack in this even when you remove the grommets holding the line up with a pick tool.
7. When you remove the last bolt for the DEF tank - be ready to drop it either on your chest or have a jack underneath it and slightly lower it down about 6-8 inches.
8. Also, before dropping the tank you'll need to remove the main connector. When you lower it 6-8 inches, THEN remove the main skinny DEF fuel line and connector. Do it carefully as the line nipple is extremely fragile, especially if it's cold.
9. If you decide to replace the pump at the same time, don't forget to use the syringe to pre-fill the new pump with DEF (I found out the hard way there is a reason why they give you a syringe with the new pump).
10. Brush off the dirt if you didn't wash underneath prior to opening up the DEF heater. See image below to see how dirty they can get.

11. Drain/siphon off as much DEF you can (but don't empty it) as it will make reinstalling a lot easier.
12. When reinstalling, it's also way easier to put the DEF tank on a big floor jack and hoist it back into place. Slide the tank under the truck, slide in the jack, put the DEF tank on the jack - hoist it up.
13. Jack it half way up, reconnect the DEF fuel line connector and fuel line. HOWEVER - reconnect the connector FIRST. Then the DEF fuel line (trust me on this).
14. Now thread in your DEF fill and breather hose the exact same way it was in the photo. If it crimps, you've got it twisted. Find that picture you took and ensure it's turned the same way.

That's it! Job should take about 2 hours start to finish and taking your time. $tealership cost to replace the DEF heater is around $6-700 USD or $1100 CAD. I paid $230 for the heater.

TBH - Ford should recall all 2013-2016 F-350's to fix the DEF heater. They recalled 2011-2012 F-350, and 2013-2016 F450/F550's but not the 350's. And it's the exact. same. part. :mad:

It's an easy enough job - having a buddy to help will make this go a lot easier, especially when you lower and raise the DEF tank.

Enjoy guys!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for this! looks like i'll be doing mine soon.

Randy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for this post. I'm new to the forum and just had a CEL pop on yesterday. When I had the code pulled, it was a P21AB. Is this what addresses that code?

Thanks again.
Constantine

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@cadillac531 - I had two codes and yes, that was one of them to indicate I had a faulty DEF heater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts