Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Without looking at a schematic I can't answer that, but I do know you'll get an ABS light on the dash, cruise control won't work and your transmission will act like it's possessed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Awesome and I think you just gave me some great information.
Yesterday, just before the ABS light came on the vehicle shuddered for a few seconds. If an interruption in that diff sensor will cause the trans to act up that could have been what I was experiencing.
I have noticed the codes before but they've never crossed the threshold to the point that the ABS light would come on and I've never noticed the shuddering before.
I'm normally a very pleasant person, but... I worked for the Federal Government for almost 30 years (retired now) so if some of my questions seemed a bit abrasive, those are the conditions I worked under, and you have my apologies.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
For the price and accessibility I'd throw a VSS at it, clear the codes and see if life goes back to unicorns and rainbows
I'm not normally a proponent of the parts cannon approach to 6.0 repair but that VSS is a pretty common point of failure

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Agreed

For the price and accessibility I'd throw a VSS at it, clear the codes and see if life goes back to unicorns and rainbows
I'm not normally a proponent of the parts cannon approach to 6.0 repair but that VSS is a pretty common point of failure

I'm not one to just go off and start buying parts either but too many symptoms point to the sensor in the differential so I'm going to go with that. The harness is clean and intact but the sensor itself has a bit of wiggle.:wiggle:
Doesn't everybody hate these intermittent electrical issues?:nod:
:thankyou2:

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
When my VSS was going south, I would be driving along on the freeway in cruise control - all of a sudden, cruise would kick off, speedo would drop to 0, ABS light would come on, then the speedo returned back to the correct speed. Truck drove fine, other than it wouldn't let you use cruise control.

The light would stay on for a couple days, then mysteriously vanish. This happened a half dozen times or so, and one day the light came on and wouldn't go off. I changed the VSS and poof! No more issues.

The way it was explained it to me (and someone please correct me if i'm wrong), the VSS is what the truck uses to calculate speed based on the diff. If it loses signal for some reason, the ABS light will come on alerting you that something's amiss and a code has been set, and then the truck relies on the front left and right ABS sensors to get the correct speed. Like I said, that's the way it was explained to me when I was having my issues.

I would almost bet you your VSS needs changed. I think they're <$20.

-jokester

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Done deal

When my VSS was going south, I would be driving along on the freeway in cruise control - all of a sudden, cruise would kick off, speedo would drop to 0, ABS light would come on, then the speedo returned back to the correct speed. Truck drove fine, other than it wouldn't let you use cruise control.

The light would stay on for a couple days, then mysteriously vanish. This happened a half dozen times or so, and one day the light came on and wouldn't go off. I changed the VSS and poof! No more issues.

The way it was explained it to me (and someone please correct me if i'm wrong), the VSS is what the truck uses to calculate speed based on the diff. If it loses signal for some reason, the ABS light will come on alerting you that something's amiss and a code has been set, and then the truck relies on the front left and right ABS sensors to get the correct speed. Like I said, that's the way it was explained to me when I was having my issues.

I would almost bet you your VSS needs changed. I think they're <$20.

-jokester
Thanks,
I ordered one, might be here for the weekend. It was $35(ish) for the Motorcraft.
What I'd like to know is why do these vehicles throw codes for "Left Rear wheel speed sensor" when they don't even have one? I'll have to remember that not all is as it seems with these codes. For future reference.:dunno:

·
Vendor
1,064 Posts
FWIW '06 doesn't use right/left rear wheel speed sensors, the VSS (6L3Z-9E731-A) in the top of the differential is the only source of rear wheel speed
The two sensors in the top of the trans are TSS (8C3Z-7M101-B)& OSS (8C3Z-7H103-C)not VSS

Thank you! I was starting to think the same thing after doing a little digging. I'm thinking of the F150s, Econolines, Exploders, etc :) which started to go with separate sensors.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts