Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This should be simple but after hours of searching I cannot find a Motorcraft part number for the Left Rear ABS Sensor.
I'm quite certain that both the Left and the Right are the same but:
I search for the part or part number and come up with:
Aftermarket parts of various part numbers and cross referencing different Motorcraft part numbers.
The problem is that the differential has an ABS Sensor on it and from what I can tell it is different from the Left and Right senors.
Now I plug in the number for the "Left Sensor" the results I get are split between "Left", "Right" and "Center (or the one mounted on the diff)"!:confused::thud:
The truck in in my signature.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I googled " 2006 f250 rear abs sensor motorcraft" and got results...
Me too, and lots of them.
Was kinda hoping that someone has had the same kind of confusion I explained and found an answer.:taze:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Pretty sure the one on the top of the rear diff is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

@fordsvtparts

-jokester
You may be right on the VSS, but from the Service Manual it looks like the VSS is on the transmission, but I could be wrong.:dunno:

I sent "fordsvtparts" a request for a part # or a direct link.
Thanks

·
Vendor
1,065 Posts
PM me a VIN, and I can tell you for sure which one your truck uses.

These traditionally only used one sensor, in the top of the diff. That one sensor was substituted for two separate sensors (at the wheels) once things such as traction control, roll stability control, etc were added to the trucks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do

These traditionally only used one sensor, in the top of the diff. That one sensor was substituted for two separate sensors (at the wheels) once things such as traction control, roll stability control, etc were added to the trucks.
Give me about 2 min.
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VSS

I googled " 2006 f250 rear abs sensor motorcraft" and got results...
People don't start a thread or start reading a thread to get an answer like (Google it you fool).:respekt:

Pretty sure the one on the top of the rear diff is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

@fordsvtparts

-jokester
The VSS in mounted on the Transmission. Just to clarify that for someone that may need that info. At least it is in the truck in my signature.

One of the things I appreciate when I'm reading a thread is accuracy of information and when there is confusion, to many times it doesn't get clarified which can lead to hours of searching for an answer that someone may need.
Threads that die off without a conclusion is another unfortunate "nature of the beast".
If I start a thread I will do my best to see to it that pertinent information is made available and the thread has a conclusion.

They start reading the thread because the title of the thread is similar to an issue they are experiencing and if we are to help each other... Lets do that to the best of our ability.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ABS Light

I came up with 2 ABS codes today and the ABS light came on, the codes were:
C1175 (Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure)
C1236 (Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing)
I was reading those situations where the vehicle may or may not have the wheel sensors, which added to the confusion.
Thanks

This has been an intermittent issue and can wait till tomorrow. I just wanted to post this tonight because this is the first time the ABS light actually came on and right before it came on I could feel some shuddering in the rear end.
Bill

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,123 Posts
The motorcraft part number came up when I googled it you fool.

So you started a thread to have everyone else do the work for you?

You have a left rear and sensor fault but you're not sure if you have a left (or right) abs sensor?!?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obvious

The motorcraft part number came up when I googled it you fool.

So you started a thread to have everyone else do the work for you?

You have a left rear and sensor fault but you're not sure if you have a left (or right) abs sensor?!?
From your first response (powerstrokeshellback) it's obvious you had no interest in helping but more to the point your intent was to make a joke of my question and make me look like a fool.
Put me on blast in public and it's coming back your way.
Fordsvtparts needed my VIN to answer my question. Google gave you the answer you wanted (it must be true, I saw it on the internet). Google gave me conflicting answers, maybe I just researched a bit more.
Either way, you are welcome to ignore this thread. You obviously have nothing constructive to add to the discussion.:soapbox:

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,123 Posts
You're original comment said after hours of research a part number could not be found.

After 3-5 seconds of googling (I even gave you what to google) it could be found.

I gave you you're answer in my first post. I'm not sure how giving you the answer to your question is putting you on blast in public.

All you had to do is google the phrase I gave you and you would have to pick what brand you wanted to go with from which ever retailer. Did you want me to do that for you too?

Order from @fordsvtparts so they can make sure get what you need and then eat a snickers.

Edit: also, all you had to do was go look at your truck for the sensors to see which one you had, let alone the fact that you have a code for the left rear abs sensor. If it's confusion, you should probably just let a mechanic fix if for you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
"This should be simple but..."

I'm waiting for @fordsvtparts to get back to me and I will order the part from him.
The "blast" thing was when you called me a "fool".
I liked the "Snickers" thing though.:approve:

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
FWIW '06 doesn't use right/left rear wheel speed sensors, the VSS (6L3Z-9E731-A) in the top of the differential is the only source of rear wheel speed
The two sensors in the top of the trans are TSS (8C3Z-7M101-B)& OSS (8C3Z-7H103-C)not VSS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not there

FWIW '06 doesn't use right/left rear wheel speed sensors, the VSS (6L3Z-9E731-A) in the top of the differential is the only source of rear wheel speed
The two sensors in the top of the trans are TSS (8C3Z-7M101-B)& OSS (8C3Z-7H103-C)not VSS

See the thumbnail,
I came up with 2 ABS codes and the ABS light came on, the codes were:
C1175 (Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure)
C1236 (Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing)

It was dark and the driveway was wet so, given the codes and their definition it never crossed my mind that the truck wouldn't have a "Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor".
No wonder I couldn't find a part number for this non-existent part.
I've dealt with these sensors with my 2000 Suburban. Took them out and cleaned them and they worked fine for about 6 months but in the end I ended up replacing them, they just get tired I supposed.
I figured I'd just get on the computer and order a new one and not have to worry in the future.

I guess the question now becomes: Are those two codes really telling me that the sensor on the differential is bad? Or could it be one of the sensors on the transmission?
I did have a situation on my way to the VA for an appointment last week where I noticed the tachometer jumped about 250rpm a couple times on level and straight road driving. It seemed to have no effect on the feel of driving, not like it shifted down a gear then back but being on a flat road I may not have noticed that happening and it had no effect on the speedometer.
Not to nit-pick but the Ford Service Manual lists the Sensor on the rear differential as a "Wheel Speed Sensor" (see PDF), it also lists the front left and right as "Wheel Speed Sensors". For clarity for others that may be researching what sensor is indicated by those codes would you please state if the sensor on the differential is in fact the VSS and how you know that?
You may be a Sr Master Tech, I have no way of knowing where your info comes from. Not trying to put you on the spot but I'd like to know and I'd like readers of this thread to know statements made are fact not what someone "believes to be fact".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Ford trouble codes don't tell you what's wrong just where to start looking
Yes, the sensor in the differential is indeed the VSS, technically it is indeed sensing wheel speed
As for my credentials, 36 years of distributing Ford parts to the adoring masses

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
@voodooridr is correct that there are not individual speed sensors on the rear axle. Only the VSS on the differential housing. While he may not be a Sr. Master Tech, he did stay at a Holiday Inn Exp... Wait... No... that's not it. He does work at a dealership and has been extremely helpful to me and many others on this forum with part number and other dealer specific information.

For your issue, I'd install Forscan and check your codes with it. It's much more capable and accurate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys

Ford trouble codes don't tell you what's wrong just where to start looking
Yes, the sensor in the differential is indeed the VSS, technically it is indeed sensing wheel speed
As for my credentials, 36 years of distributing Ford parts to the adoring masses

Great credentials, but aren't the front wheel speed sensors doing the same thing... So are they also VSS? I know I sound like an a** but, I guess the question is: Are all wheel speed sensors considered VSS? :wall: Thanks

@voodooridr is correct that there are not individual speed sensors on the rear axle. Only the VSS on the differential housing. While he may not be a Sr. Master Tech, he did stay at a Holiday Inn Exp... Wait... No... that's not it. He does work at a dealership and has been extremely helpful to me and many others on this forum with part number and other dealer specific information.

For your issue, I'd install Forscan and check your codes with it. It's much more capable and accurate.
Thanks
I have Forscan installed on a laptop, I've just been dreading configuring the darn program. Guess I'll have to get my brain in gear and figure it out. :thud:

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The front wheel speed sensors are just sensing front wheel speed in relation to overall vehicle speed

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So if I disconnect the Rear wheel speed sensor (VSS) should the speedometer stop working?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts