Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Interior lights and the like led and hid wise need a ballast to make them work, I am in the process of buying the interior led's but have done Hid's before.

·
Registered
59 Posts
LED draw very little current.
They need to have a resistor to limit the amount of current.
They are polarized so make sure you know which is pos and neg.
Some LED mfg are putting resistors in the package so you need to know.

Which led are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
WHAT DO U NEED FOR THEM TO WORK RIGHT IN OUR TRUCK ? ANY-1 ELSE RUNNING LED LIGHTS, I HEARD U NEED A RESISTOR OF SOMETHING FOR THEM WOT WORK RIGHT ??? :dunno:
Most LED's are DC voltage and are in the 2-3 volt range.
Which means you will need to reduce the voltage down to meet the LED's requirements. Most people use a resistor. Thats all thats needed.
No Ballast no nothing. unless you get into some Hi-perf LEDs then theirs something known as and led driver but thats another story.

As far as what resistor. they will be notated with the led's you get.
and IF the resistor is not notated it will be based on the base voltage/desired voltage
then lookup a resistor calculator on the internet. most resistors can be bought right from radio sh?ck or similar
Good luck

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
All you have to do is replace your turn signal flasher with an "Electronic" flasher and they will work fine!

No load resisters needed.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
does any -1 sugest and websites or ebay members that sell leds that u recomend ? since im putting my rear lights im ganna do all my front ones as well since i'll replacing my head lights
not to be negative just trying to pass on my experience,
I purchased several LED direct replacement bulbs for my ride ....
they were so bad I never even used them. wasted $$ but I quickly learned to like my factory lights. your truck my be different since its a different year.
I would look for a recommendation from another user if i did it all over again
best luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I put some LED lights with build in resistors in the tail lights. My truck felt like the torque converter would lock up for a second or two and unlock and or it had something to do with overdrive. only happened at speeds 35 and over. I replace the tail lights with stock and the trans shifts fine. I think it still needs a load resistor.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
All you have to do is replace your turn signal flasher with an "Electronic" flasher and they will work fine!

Hmmm. I had to add a resistor so the PCM saw a ground (-) when the brakes were off, otherwise AIC and cruise no worky for me... :confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to derail your thread but I just have 1 quick question, I want to do red LED'S in the cab and all I need is a resistor, right?

·
Registered
888 Posts

Please don't post miss information about SD trucks....referring to OBS trucks... Thanks! :doh:

You WILL need Load Balancers/Equalizer/Resistors for the LEDs to work correct....well, technically not the LEDs, but for the Torque Converter to work correctly :doh::doh::doh:

The OBS PCM looks for Burnt out Tail Lights (when they are ON) before LOCKING the TC.....

Also, the Cruise won't work either.....

Electric Flasher isn't needed, but can be added if you like since you have Load Equalizers installed :thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
You will need NONE for any cab lights...all mine are LEDs and have no resistors :thumb:
Thanks, O and your truck is awsome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts