Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a '15 F-350, SRW, 4x4.

I've been meaning to post this for a little while - noticed evidence of a seep/leak from the driveshaft seal from the transfer case (see attached). It's pretty dry and there's never been any "evidence" on the driveway, nor is there any underbody "blow-by".

Should I be concerned? Anyone else see this?

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,357 Posts
@voodooridr sometimes helps us with part # even though he has nothing though gain from it

that is a booted seal so the outside that looks like cracked chit on yours is a debris shield for the actual inside seal ( in case anyone wondered why they don't look like a normal t case seal )

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
They're cataloged in the transfer case parts list so I'd need a transfer case tag # or a vin# to find it without guessing
It's most likely a 7C3Z-7B215-A, assuming electronic T/case and auto hubs

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Started life as. DC3Z-7B215-A and was "updated" to the older number

·
Registered
203 Posts
They're cataloged in the transfer case parts list so I'd need a transfer case tag # or a vin# to find it without guessing
It's most likely a 7C3Z-7B215-A, assuming electronic T/case and auto hubs

Here's the T case tag. I can provide VIN also if needed.

Yes, electronic shift and auto hubs

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Started life as. DC3Z-7B215-A and was "updated" to the older number
So are they no longer doing the boot? I never had a squeak. I kinda like the idea of it protecting the other seal instead of having it exposed to the environment. But if you say run it without the boot, I will.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
The 7C3Z-A should get you where you need to go, check the vent hoses too, shouldn't be seeping yet
Didn't look at previous posts, looks like someone grabbed it with a pair of channel locks

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 7C3Z-A should get you where you need to go, check the vent hoses too, shouldn't be seeping yet
Didn't look at previous posts, looks like someone grabbed it with a pair of channel locks
The outer boot is very brittle. I barely touched it and it fell apart like that.

It also appears that the slip yoke starts to rust where the seal doesn't contact often. Then under occasional circumstances the yoke will travel enough that the corrosion will contact the seal/boot and rip it. I'm thinking the yoke might need a little exterior cleanup and greasing in order to keep it smooth and healthy.

Ford is on back order over a month out. It looks like eBay might be a possibility. I also got a seal from NAPA that's supposed to work. Part number 21241. will probably tear into it this weekend to try and fix it. I'd just hate to get it torn apart and find out I can't use my truck because I don't have the right seal.

Thanks for the guidance. This is such an annoying little problem.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
There about 120 of them floating around in the Ford warehouse network, Shouldn't be more than a few days away where ever you are

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
that looks like the older version,, like mine would use

but maybe ford reverted back / since I did hear they had some squeaking issue

somone give up a vin ;-)

That's a 7C3Z-7B215-B, that would be correct for the front output seal

·
Administrator
29,357 Posts
granted it is leaking and needs replacing

and if it makes you feel better about losing the boot , typically most rear seals are bootless anyway and fair better than this one

sure the boot is nice but it would be nice if they had a boot that didn't dry rot in such short order LOL

·
Administrator
29,357 Posts
That's a 7C3Z-7B215-B, that would be correct for the front output seal
?? thats the part # you listed for the rear ?

EDIT NM I see the B instead of an A crazy same part # but i letter changes it all lol

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Uh, no
Even though I had to scroll back up and look
7C3Z-7B215-A for the rear output
7C3Z-7B215-B for the front output

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
they are toying with us
Welcome to my corner of hell.
That's why really good Ford parts guys are hard to come by

·
Registered
203 Posts
Uh, no
Even though I had to scroll back up and look
7C3Z-7B215-A for the rear output
7C3Z-7B215-B for the front output
Alright I'm gonna throw another wrench in here. What about part number BC3Z-7052-C

It looks pretty close to what I need. But possibly discontinued...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts