Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 7.3 with around 250K miles on it. I recently installed new injectors and a new map sensor but the fuel bowl has run almost empty twice now and the truck acts like its out of fuel and dies slowly and wont start until I poor more diesel into the fuel bowl and prime it. it runs ok for a while after that, besides misfiring at high RPMs, until the fuel bowl goes empty again. There's a pretty steady leak when the truck is running but it goes away after I turn it off. The truck has been misfiring a little at high RPMs for as long as I've had it too. I'm wondering if my fuel bowl has a leak in one of the O-rings or if its one of my fuel lines. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
First thing to figure out where the leak is coming from. There are lots of places to leak:
The pump itself, usually out of the weep hole at the base of the pump (most likely in my mind)
The metal fuel line(s) banjo fitting on the rear of the pump
Any of the hoses to/from pump and bowl
The fuel bowl lid
The fuel bowl drain valve (yellow lever and assembly down the side of the bowl)
The Fuel Pressure Regulator (at the joint where it attaches to the bowl and where the line comes up into the bottom of the FPR
The Fuel Restriction Sensor on the FPR (loves to leak)
The Water In Fuel Sensor on the driver's side of the bowl
The Fuel Heater Feed-though on the driver's side of the bowl
An actual hole/crack in the bottom of the bowl

Since the pump is a two stage mechanical pump (runs off a lobe on the cam), the leak will usually stop if the engine is not running. Best thing to do is to clean things up as good as you can to see where the leak is.

Cheers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.