Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't get a straight answer for this so hopefully somebody can help. my up pipes are leaking, bad. i heard i need to replace the pipes because they don.t use a gasket, the expand with heat to make the seal. then i have hear that they use a gasket. also they say i will need a turbo y manifold because i will break the bolts off from the up pipes. also whats the chevy doughnut gasket about. some body please help set it straight!

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Ok...I just replaced mine...

No gaskets,...and yes...there is a chance you will break the bolts....spray a lubricant on them a couple days before you plan on working on them.

The pipes normally break in the "bellows" sections...

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
This is on a 7.3 though. I think the 6.0's are different. I have heard that there is a gasket on the 7.3 up pipes and that ones for a chev small block actually fit better then the factory ones.I'd also say that there is a chance of snapping off some bolts because they can get very rusty.

·
4,553 Posts
i do it all the time tank without reading, its no problem

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
The lower part of the upipes seal right on the exhaust mainfold, no gasket, the top have the gasket as far as I know but I dont know the #s for the chevy doughnuts. The y pipe takes alot of heat so the bolts rust in there pretty good, soak them with PB blaster for a good few days, and have a replacement y pipe on hand in case you snap a bolt, can always return it if you can use the OEM one.

·
4,553 Posts
yeah i think its the top seals that connect the up pipes to the turbo collector.

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
get the chevy donuts or the IH bellowed up pipes

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would love to get bellowed up pipes but money wise im not sure, what did that set up cost? could i just replace the doughnuts and not the pipes? Also what chevy are the gaskets out of and do they work better than stock ford ones? thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
The Fel Pro p/n for the chevy donuts is 8194, under 8 bux at NAPA for the pair, mine have 20k on em without a leak, spray the bolts heavily with PB Blaster the night before, do it again in the a.m., wait an hour and your bolts should be ok when removed.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Served Our Country
65 Posts
Do you have to pull the turbo to change these gaskets?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts