Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, noticed oil all over the inside of my rear drivers side tire. and also inside the fender well from the tires rotating and slinging oil up. took rear tire and drum off and everything is completly covered in oil. figured it was brake fluid leak, but my brake fluid reservoir is still full. i am figuring it must be a rear axle seal is leaking? can anybody tell me where this seal is that might be leaking? never had to deal with this problem before. and also how hard it is to fix, or is it pretty self expanatory once i get everything apart? and any tricks you guys might have to fix it. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?:bump::bump:

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone at all? going for it this weekend. hate going into things blind, and i can't stand on reading the chiltons anymore after finding this awesome forum.:dunno:

·
7.3L pullin a 7.0L S/C
269 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing...how hard is the seal to change out?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You have to pull the caliper, axle and rotor. Then you will need a special socket to remove the hub assembly. Next, after prying out the old seal, you will need a seal installer or suitable tool to install the new seal.

·
7.3L pullin a 7.0L S/C
269 Posts
are they pressed on or what?

What type of special socket?

·
7.3L pullin a 7.0L S/C
269 Posts
bump

how hard are these to replace...timewise?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
It is a fairly easy install. Remove wheels, remove axle nuts and pull out the axle. There is a nut inside there called an Axilock nut (on the superduty's anyway). You will need the right size socket to get this off. Remove the wheel bearing and pull off hub. Then you have to get the wheel seal out of the hub. I have the best luck with a lady's foot prybar. Clean your bearings well and make sure they are dry before re-installing. Clean off everything and keep it clean. Clean hub out before re-installing bearing coat it in oil, place in hub and drive in wheel seal. Put hub up on axle and fill inner hub cavity until it starts coming out the front. Put the other bearing in after coating in oil. I don't know the tightening sequence off the top of my head so thats as far as I can take you. It really is easier than it sounds. If you have any questions you can pm me

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a fairly easy install. Remove wheels, remove axle nuts and pull out the axle. There is a nut inside there called an Axilock nut (on the superduty's anyway). You will need the right size socket to get this off. Remove the wheel bearing and pull off hub. Then you have to get the wheel seal out of the hub. I have the best luck with a lady's foot prybar. Clean your bearings well and make sure they are dry before re-installing. Clean off everything and keep it clean. Clean hub out before re-installing bearing coat it in oil, place in hub and drive in wheel seal. Put hub up on axle and fill inner hub cavity until it starts coming out the front. Put the other bearing in after coating in oil. I don't know the tightening sequence off the top of my head so thats as far as I can take you. It really is easier than it sounds. If you have any questions you can pm me
yep what ross said. It was really easy once I took it all apart. i picked up a can of brake clean to clean up the mess that had been thrown around from the failing seal. Ford is pretty proud of the part itself, around $45 IIRC. May be able to find at your local autopart store for cheaper, but I had to go to Ford because no one else had them in stock

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Were you able to get them done and leak free now? I left out some steps because I assumed we were atleast a little mechanically inclined.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Were you able to get them done and leak free now? I left out some steps because I assumed we were atleast a little mechanically inclined.
me? Yeah I got this done long ago, back in May I posted this, guess somebody dug it up from a search or something:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts