Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting prepared to tackle some leaking exhaust manifold gaskets on a 95 7.3....
Where is the proper place to install the pyro thermocouple on these trucks?
Are there any good videos or tips/tricks for the PITA task at hand?
I figured the easiest time to drill and tap (if install is in one of the manifolds) would be while i had it off.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought most people installed them just after the turbo, usually 1-3” away from the outlet. Just what I’ve read, still saving up for such fancy gauges like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
after the turbo gives the wrong reading . I want to read in that manifold

Reactions: KYRILEY

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Drivers side manifold. Crawl under there and take a look up and you'll see a clear spot. I had a buddy at a shop drill, tap, and install mine then I wired the rest.

·
Registered
800 Posts
2x on driver side manifold.

NEVER put it after the turbo. if you reach 1400° with it after the turbo its to late

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are both exhaust manifold gaskets the same gasket part # ? Getting ready to order.....

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The exhaust manifold gaskets are the same for either side. They are sold by the pair. The oem setup did not use exhaust manifold gaskets

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The exhaust manifold gaskets are the same for either side. They are sold by the pair. The oem setup did not use exhaust manifold gaskets
Whats the best route to take as far as fixing? Gaskets or resurfacing the manifold????
I can reach under the driver side exhaust manifold and feel it when the truck is idling. Also can hear it driving down the road.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
As long as you are sure it is coming from between the manifold and head and not the up pipe I would go with installing gaskets. I would get a set of bolts for the manifold and up pipes. Pull the manifold and check it with a straight edge.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had the same issue that you did, driver side manifold leaking real bad especially under throttle, I had a broken bolt that I'm guessing let the manifold warp, I removed it and has it surfaced and installed a gasket, I'm planning on doing the passenger side soon just to do it, as then I know my exhaust side will be air tight as I installed bellowed up pipes last year as well as a new turbo collector?? I guess that the proper name. Good luck and take you're time the driver side is the harder of the 2 as the oil cooler is in the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts